Too many things going on.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unbaked pegga, May 6, 2017.

1. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    This has not been a good year so far with my girls. They have had diarrhea for what seems like months now. I had one hen, Blossum, that got an upper respiratory issue last spring that I had treated by a vet. She had it again in the fall, And in February after a hard molt she had it again and gave it to the other 3 this time. So they were all treated with antibiotics (but the vet never does any tests, just listens to their lungs) they still are not over it and it has been 3-4 weeks now. I am convinced a large number of vets aren't that experienced in treating chickens and while there is an avian and exotic birds vet close by, they don't treat chickens! Last month I lost my alpha hen, my much loved Lily. I still can hardly say her name. Amazingly she never did have the respiratory issue. But since she died the flock has been in a twitter trying to get their pecking order established. The respiratory and diarrhea problems are exacerbated by this stressor. They seem like they feel fine. They are active and have a good appetite but this has got to be wearing them down. The younger 2 hens are really getting grief from the older 2. I only interfere when they are being really mean, and that is when there is food involved. I am trying to figure out if I am doing anything wrong. The only thing I give them extra are oat and honey bars. They are very small and I give 2 of them to 4 very large Orpington's. They know what time of day I normally give them this treat and they come to the back door and squawk loudly until I give it to them.. I can't think of anything else I give them other than their crumble. I so want things to settle down here and for the girls to be better

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    there is a certain disease they catch and sticks with them for life,but doesn't mean you need to cull them.

As for diahhera,they could a bit dehydrate,but lots of time,diarrhea is normal.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    In vet collage future vets are trained to inspect chicken carcasses for the FDA and USDA.

I don't fault the vets, that is where the money is.

4. unbaked pegga

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    I do fault the vets though. If they take a chicken on as a patient they should know how to treat their illnesses

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  5. unbaked pegga

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    Oh No!! I would never cull them! I love them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by