too much corn????

Normal laying feed has les soy and corn. It also has other grains than wheat. But how much and what kind of, depends on the mill/factory and whats available in the country you live in.

I give bio feed with wheat, barley, lupine, buckwheat, spelled, oats, peas, linseed, sunflower seeds, broken corn and alfalfa.
For insects and greens I let them free range. Or if I am not at home during the day to let them free, I give mealworms and fresh greens, like herbs and grasses as a supplement.

I ran your numbers through a generic feed calculator analysis is below.
Nutrient Name:AmountUnits
Crude Protein
17.3%​
%
Crude Fat
9.8%​
%
Crude Fiber
7.0%​
%
Calcium
0.09%​
%
Phosphorus
0.41%​
%
Salt added
0.00%​
%
Sodium
0.03%​
%per KG
Energy 1,444Kcal/LB
3176.8​
Vitamin A
274​
IU/LB
603.24​
Vitamin D
0​
IU/LB
0​
Vitamin E
0​
IU/LB
0​
Choline
1695​
IU/LB
3728​
Biotin
10.9​
MCG/LB
24​
Manganese
44.6​
ppm
98.12​
Zinc
13.8​
ppm
30.36​
Copper
4.68​
ppm
10.296​
Selenium (added)
0.00​
ppm
0​
Lysine
0.72%​
%
Methionine
0.30%​
%
Methionine/Cystine
0.53%​
%
Arginine
1.10%​
%

hey thanks, ms/mr kiki helped me on this calculators thing, it seems I have too much fat in this mix. ofc i will also adjust putting other grains whenever they become available.

Pardon my ignorance, but why is fat bad? I raise Brahmas for meat and eggs fir personal consumption. They free range with free choice layer blend pellet supplement feed.
At butchering my birds have what I consider to be good fat. Fat is flavor. I can see commercial growers would be concerned but for the backyard butcher, whats the concern?

Pardon my ignorance, but why is fat bad? I raise Brahmas for meat and eggs fir personal consumption. They free range with free choice layer blend pellet supplement feed.
At butchering my birds have what I consider to be good fat. Fat is flavor. I can see commercial growers would be concerned but for backyard butcher, whats the concern?
a little bit it's Ok, it gives flavour and you are right, but large fat pads in their belly that end up becoming boiler fuel, not very good, nor healthy for layers especially.

I am puzzled about my feeding. all my chickens, both meat, roosters, laying hens, everyone eats a mash made out of "milled grains" (freshly milled) concentrate (minerals, soy, sunflowers 40% protein).
Hi there. :frow

First... if your feed is indeed 40% protein that's too much for chickens ( or is that only the sunflowers?)... Here in the US "meatbird" formulas top out around 22-25% protein max.

When it comes to energy, aka calories... it only comes from three sources... protein, fat, and carbs including fiber. Once any animal goes over it's energy need, it will store all excess energy as fat even if it comes from protein or carbs...

All my birds get a 20% protein flock raiser feed free choice from dawn to dusk plus free range pasture. I'm a tight wad on treats... despite KNOWING my ration is balanced... let me share a little of my experience with you... :)

I breed my birds, but have tried several breeds along the way to figuring out which one I really love both in my pasture and on my table...

Different birds carry different amounts of abdominal fat and fat directly beneath the skin. Sometimes it is individual more so than breed related (or even feed related IMO), as with the case of my Ameraucana boys, same blood line, different sizes and one had a huge fat pad . The Wyandottes had much more fat on them than my Marans, but it's been a while and I just remember how weird it was cuz back then I skinned and had my hand sooo greased up just from processing the bird. Easter Eggers, SFH, meh. Silkies, not bad considering size. Just like people... some store their fat better than others, I think.

Boiler fuel... great use! :highfive:
(almost wish we had something like that, do you use the feathers also?)

Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders! It's always interesting to see what folks in other countries have available to them and how they work through their concerns, so we might relay information if we come across another in similar circumstances. :pop

At butchering my birds have what I consider to be good fat. Fat is flavor. I can see commercial growers would be concerned but for the backyard butcher, whats the concern?
For me.. (excess) fat is never desired on my live birds, which I line breed for generations on end... specifically abdominal fat which can crowd the abdominal cavity putting pressure on the heart and lungs making it generally harder to live... and also pressing on the egg duct, making it harder to lay eggs. Fat birds have decreased production according to the research I've done. And fat roosters can have a harder time connecting vents... reducing fertility. I spent bank and time gathering my stock... I cannot afford to let them die young from complications caused by me. If they aren't in breeding condition, they aren't much good for me. Feeding birds meant to stay only short term... ya, it's probably no big deal! I'm not a commercial grower... but a hobbyist with a goal of a self sustaining flock to provide for family long term without supporting big chicken (including hatcheries) EVER again. Guess I'm still supporting Big Ag by buying rations... from (likely) government subsidized supply lines.. :oops: We do what we can, one step at a time! :thumbsup

I do remember trying Brahma... only that they were so slow growing compared to my other breeds.. not ideal for long term ongoing freezer candidates for me... same as Orpington.

Brahma being a dual purpose breed... I personally would not go with "layer" feed and consider 18-20% protein a better choice to help build muscle... noting that it isn't just the protein but also the amino acids. 16% layer feed is made to keep light bodied birds like leghorn in laying condition. Depending on when you switch you *might* get better performance from higher protein?? I NEVER ever use layer anymore since learning the difference... but offer my oyster shell on the side free choice.. Very happy with my results, especially the decrease in molt intensity and duration! Please note I'm not saying layer is bad... just that it might not be the best choice. :confused:

I do agree... fat is flavorful, when prepared correctly! :drool

Back
Top Bottom