Too much grass??

Terrie Mac

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Today was the first time our 3 1/2 week old chicks spent time in their grassy run...with my granddaughter. They hopped all over her and she really bonded with one in particular. Well, my granddaughter is gone and they are now in the house in a play pen next to me and within eyesight. But they are REALLY loud now unlike ever before except when one is separated and alone... and I think my granddaughter's favorite is leading the chorus. Too much grass? Too much room to play? Too much granddaughter?

We did change their bedding from sand (sand storm) to rice hulls (which they are familiar with) a longer roost, and minus a branch- otherwise everything is the same. The only thing that gets them quiet are the dogs rough housing.

They were out there all afternoon -should I limit their time in the yard at this age? Should I listen to my husband and stop fretting?

Thanks so much for all the help I have received and continue to receive every day --love this site!

If it is warm and they have water and a place to get away from bright sun, I don't see why you'd need to limit time. With a hen raising them, they'd be out and about most of the day. If they're eating grass, they probably need grit, though.

Back
Top Bottom