too much heat !

flitter

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2009
NorthCentral Pennsylvania
My 250 W heat lamp bulbs are producing too much heat. I have been trying to locate some smaller watt bulbs that will fit in my lamps. Does anyone have a source for smaller red heat bulbs? Or does anyone know if the bulbs sold for reptile heat will fit the standard brooder lamp?

Just use regular bulbs and not red ones, what kind of lamp are you using? I just use a clamp lamp from hardware store with 60watt bulb and move lamp higher or lower to regulate heat

The reptile bulbs will fit a standard brooder base and work fine most are black bulbs however im sure they make different colors ebay has a huge selection of types.

My chicks got kind of wild at night with a plain bulb... they picked at each other and even drew blood... so I went back to red. I can't raise the lamp any higher it's in the roof eaves. 250 W is just too much (probably more expensive than I need, too). I have two brooder "cabins' going (250 w each) and a third one by next week. Thanks for brain storming with me.

I've used 250W bulbs for my brooder. All you have to do, like Lori posted, is RAISE the lamp/bulb higher to get the temp you want. I had mine almost 3ft off the brooder's floor.
Jack

Petsmart has reptile red heat lamps of all sizes.. I was testing out 'lights', and found the 250 gets way to hot as well. I just got a 150 at petsmart and that seems to be just about right.

Actually I bought a brinsea eco glow 20 chick brooder, but am finding that only gets up to 80 degrees and I'm thinking that is to low, I am getting chicks tomorrow or wed, and I'm thinking for the price of the brinsea I will be sending it back because the heat is just to low for 3 day old chicks.:(

I didn't realize that the Brisea light was that low! It looks like a neat set up. I've ordered the other bulbs and since we are in the midst of a cold snap. 60 degrees... I can manage .

There are also ceramic (infrared?) heat lamps that put out *no* visible light. The wattage varies depending on the bulb. I got a 60 watt and a 100 watt from PetCo in the reptile section. They fit into the fixtures normally used for the red heat lamps.

I have never heard of ceramic lights... I wonder if they would last longer. The bubs I've bought rarely make it through two batches (2 x 6 weeks). They are supposed to last much longer than that. I'll see if I can find a ceramic and give it a try, too.

Back
Top Bottom