Too much mating

Newfarmer36

Songster
Dec 31, 2017
West Monroe, Louisiana
I have 4 Bantams. One of them is a rooster. I was outside this morning, collecting eggs. And when I let them out, my standard sized rooster and hens ran up the hill like they usually do and the Bantams stay close to the coop. While I was down there, my Bantam rooster raped 1 of my Bantam hens 3 times in maybe a 1 min span. The 3rd time, I walked over and kicked at him(not hard and I didn't hit him) and he got off. But then he went to the next little Bantam hen and tried doing the same thing. And he's EXTREMELY rough!!! It's like he doesn't know what in the heck he's doing!!

I can't separate him from one of my Bantams bc she goes off wandering by herself sometimes and goes with her. I don't have a run that I can keep them in. I can't keep them in the coop bc of how hot it gets in there during the day. All I have is a brooder. My hubby said i can't go buy more chickens right now so buying more Bantams so this rooster to "spread the love" on other hens instead of constantly doing that to the 3 hens I've got now isn't an option. And I don't want to rehome home. Any suggestions on what I can do??!!

well it will good to seprate rooster but it can b bad as well
or you should must buy hens
I have 4 Bantams. One of them is a rooster. I was outside this morning, collecting eggs. And when I let them out, my standard sized rooster and hens ran up the hill like they usually do and the Bantams stay close to the coop. While I was down there, my Bantam rooster raped 1 of my Bantam hens 3 times in maybe a 1 min span. The 3rd time, I walked over and kicked at him(not hard and I didn't hit him) and he got off. But then he went to the next little Bantam hen and tried doing the same thing. And he's EXTREMELY rough!!! It's like he doesn't know what in the heck he's doing!!

I can't separate him from one of my Bantams bc she goes off wandering by herself sometimes and goes with her. I don't have a run that I can keep them in. I can't keep them in the coop bc of how hot it gets in there during the day. All I have is a brooder. My hubby said i can't go buy more chickens right now so buying more Bantams so this rooster to "spread the love" on other hens instead of constantly doing that to the 3 hens I've got now isn't an option. And I don't want to rehome home. Any suggestions on what I can do??!!

Well you don’t really have any other options. At least I can’t think of any besides putting an apron on. But you said it her neck. I would just process him.

If no blood or injury is being drawn,let them be.Its very natural.My Nee Hampshire rooster is about five or so pounds more than our bantams and he even chases and roughly mates them sometimes,and no injury has ever occurred,they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom