Too much or too little ventilation? Pictures included.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mosherd1, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Mosherd1

Mosherd1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    East Windsor, CT
    Thank you everyone for your help in the past. I just built this coop out of scrap wood I had around (my 2 and 4 year old helped paint) and I am bringing home 6 Easter Eggers tomorrow night. You can see from the pics they will have a decent size yard to free range in during the day. My question is the two openings on both sides of the top of the coop. I built these for ventilation but now I am wondering if these are too bid with winter coming. They are covered with 1/4 inch wire mesh.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am in Connecticut and the coop is not insulated. It is built out of mostly 1/2 inch plywood. So my question is, should I close these openings up with some scrap plywood or insulate the coop itself? Thanks for any advice you can provide.
    -Dave

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I don't think you need to insulate the coop.

I can't see the openings you are referring to. But you don't need a lot of air flow through the coop.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. Mosherd1

Jul 4, 2012
    East Windsor, CT
    They are just underneath the roof and it goes the length of the side. Basically just is a place that I did not put any wood. You can see it best in the first picture. Thanks,
    -Dave

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    That is a great amount for winter but make sure your roosts are not directly in front of it. You don't want them to catch a draft. Lower the roost so that when the birds are on it their head does not hit the opening. Do you have a plan for a window for the summer? From what I can see that is not enough for summer. You can always wait until then and cut out a hole, add hardware cloth/chicken wire, and use hinges on the cut out piece so it is a closeable window.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Now I see.

What are the dimensions of the air vents?

6. Mosherd1

Jul 4, 2012
    East Windsor, CT
    I think come next summer I will put a window in. The dimensions are probably 2.5 inches deep and 4 feet wide. Thanks everyone,
    -Dave

7. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

I think that is too much winter venting for that small coop with 6 hens.

My suggestion would be to leave a few inches open on one corner and the same amount open on the other side that is opposite.

8. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    it's looking good I would definitely add a window in the summer.

9. Mosherd1

Jul 4, 2012
    East Windsor, CT
    Thanks, I think I have about $40 into it, and most of that cost came from the hinges and latches that I did not have. I think I will close in some of the top like was suggested. When I saw buying already assembled or used coops online they were $3-400 each, so this seemed like a cheaper and uglier way to go. I have very limited carpentry skills!

10. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

It looks fine. But do you plan to finish painting it? The paint so far looks just right for Easter Eggers. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by