Too much or too little ventilation? Pictures included.

Mosherd1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
East Windsor, CT
Thank you everyone for your help in the past. I just built this coop out of scrap wood I had around (my 2 and 4 year old helped paint) and I am bringing home 6 Easter Eggers tomorrow night. You can see from the pics they will have a decent size yard to free range in during the day. My question is the two openings on both sides of the top of the coop. I built these for ventilation but now I am wondering if these are too bid with winter coming. They are covered with 1/4 inch wire mesh.

I am in Connecticut and the coop is not insulated. It is built out of mostly 1/2 inch plywood. So my question is, should I close these openings up with some scrap plywood or insulate the coop itself? Thanks for any advice you can provide.
-Dave

I don't think you need to insulate the coop.

I can't see the openings you are referring to. But you don't need a lot of air flow through the coop.

Last edited:
They are just underneath the roof and it goes the length of the side. Basically just is a place that I did not put any wood. You can see it best in the first picture. Thanks,
-Dave

That is a great amount for winter but make sure your roosts are not directly in front of it. You don't want them to catch a draft. Lower the roost so that when the birds are on it their head does not hit the opening. Do you have a plan for a window for the summer? From what I can see that is not enough for summer. You can always wait until then and cut out a hole, add hardware cloth/chicken wire, and use hinges on the cut out piece so it is a closeable window.

I think come next summer I will put a window in. The dimensions are probably 2.5 inches deep and 4 feet wide. Thanks everyone,
-Dave

I think that is too much winter venting for that small coop with 6 hens.

My suggestion would be to leave a few inches open on one corner and the same amount open on the other side that is opposite.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I have about $40 into it, and most of that cost came from the hinges and latches that I did not have. I think I will close in some of the top like was suggested. When I saw buying already assembled or used coops online they were $3-400 each, so this seemed like a cheaper and uglier way to go. I have very limited carpentry skills!

Thanks, I think I have about $40 into it, and most of that cost came from the hinges and latches that I did not have. I think I will close in some of the top like was suggested. When I saw buying already assembled or used coops online they were $3-400 each, so this seemed like a cheaper and uglier way to go. I have very limited carpentry skills!

It looks fine. But do you plan to finish painting it? The paint so far looks just right for Easter Eggers. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom