Too much oyster shells?

Twhi7

Songster
Feb 9, 2021
Hi everyone,
I’ve had my 5 (1 year old) khaki Campbell’s for almost a week! Even after the stress of the move I have gotten 15 eggs in less than a week (yay!). When I collected eggs this morning one of the eggs was a tannish color and almost looks speckled (pics below), which I haven’t seen before. I bought eggs from the family that gave me the ducks too so I know what their eggs normally look like for the most part. I also noticed some white areas on the egg shell. As far as I know the family that gave them to me didn’t feed oyster shells all the time, it was sporadic. But when they got here I decided it was best if I offered them oyster shells. I had read that they usually don’t overeat them, they just sort of know when they’ve had enough. However, they scarfed down a LOT! And they have food available to them all the time too so it’s likely not because of lack of food. Do you think these two things are related (oyster shells and odd looking egg)? Is this a serious concern? Wondering if the white spots are calcium deposits. Should I stop offering oyster shells all the time? I’m totally new to ducks so any advice would be appreciated 😊

thanks in advance ♥️
328DFDC9-BBF5-468E-A3B3-0A2BC0DDF036.jpeg
E1E47F89-861B-4A27-BB3B-06B64C8BA27A.jpeg
521BB45D-F8D4-425E-84D7-C0BE04235D17.jpeg
33352957-3742-4681-879C-B12A82FB1EDB.jpeg

I agree, it is not calcium. I believe it is an extra thick layer of bloom, which is slightly colored. Calcium deposits on shells that I have seen are gritty.

My ducks also love their oyster shells and scarf down a bite or two after every few bites of pellets. My ducks get regular blood tests at the vet (at least twice yearly) and they have appropriate calcium levels for laying ducks.

Have you read this?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

I agree, it is not calcium. I believe it is an extra thick layer of bloom, which is slightly colored. Calcium deposits on shells that I have seen are gritty.

My ducks also love their oyster shells and scarf down a bite or two after every few bites of pellets. My ducks get regular blood tests at the vet (at least twice yearly) and they have appropriate calcium levels for laying ducks.

Have you read this?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
Good to know! And thanks for the link - very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom