Too much roosters?

TDK

Songster
Jun 16, 2023
Dominica
I have potentially 6 roosters: 2 adults(one is a frizzle, the other looks like a welsummer), 3 teens(2 months old) and 1 chick(3 weeks old). My family plan to cook one male, but I'm certain that the youngsters will fight alot when they get older. What should I do?

A rough start, I would recommend a second pen to separate the cockerels from the pullets(?) I know you said hens, but sometimes people just mean female birds.

But even if the hens were full size adult birds, I would not want that many cockerels with them. If this is your first flock, cull all the cockerels.

Really I would not keep a rooster with less than 7 hens and more would be better.

Mrs K

A rough start, I would recommend a second pen to separate the cockerels from the pullets(?) I know you said hens, but sometimes people just mean female birds.

But even if the hens were full size adult birds, I would not want that many cockerels with them. If this is your first flock, cull all the cockerels.

Really I would not keep a rooster with less than 7 hens and more would be better.

Mrs K
I've had flocks before, but this is my first time having so much roosters with so little hens. I will have to wait to see which are the calm roosters and which are the aggressive ones(though the 3 week old chick is the most friendly).

Back
Top Bottom