Too much sugar. 1 died 1 cant stand. Please help

Jun 2, 2023
Ontario,Canada
I read the instructions but I'm so panicked so I'm sorry if I miss something.

Ok I use catchment systems for water so I have bottles of water for everything everywhere. I have one marked duck sauce = either sugar water or acv depending on the day. I have a plant one and I recently made up a hummingbird feeder one.
I didn't mark it!!! I always mark it!!
Unmarked means plain water. I filled my 4 day olds waterer with 8 cups of stupid sugar water!! I lost one and one can't keep her head up or stand. I tried an egg but they weren't introduced to anything yet besides soft crumble so he doesn't know what to do with it. He's drinking water with help but I'm so scared. What do I do?
I do know I'm an idiot if we could possibly skip that part. My heart is broken. I promise I'm hating myself too right now.

Ok I use catchment systems for water so I have bottles of water for everything everywhere. I have one marked duck sauce = either sugar water or acv depending on the day. I have a plant one and I recently made up a hummingbird feeder one.
Unmarked means plain water. I filled my 4 day olds waterer with 8 cups of stupid sugar water!! I lost one and one can't keep her head up or stand. I tried an egg but they weren't introduced to anything yet besides soft crumble so he doesn't know what to do with it. He's drinking water with help but I'm so scared. What do I do?
I do know I'm an idiot if we could possibly skip that part. My heart is broken. I promise I'm hating myself too right now.
Please don't be to harsh on yourself! You are not an idiot, we all make mistakes. Accidents will happen and we are naturally going to feel bad about it but we cannot undo so we must learn from our mistakes and try to move on. I would think that just encouraging drinking plain water and their normal food and pray for the best.

What was the water to sugar ratio? Sorry if I missed that, but it would have to be quite a bit for it to have serious negative effects.

What was the water to sugar ratio? Sorry if I missed that, but it would have to be quite a bit for it to have serious negative effects.
It was 8 cups to a gallon. It was hummingbird mix. I didn't fill the waterer. There was about a cup. The one who passed was soaked and cold too and everyone was sitting on her so it could have been a combo.They had it for about an hr while i was doing chores and i found her. But I didnt suspect the water until I tried to warm her and she was sticky so this guy had another 10 minutes at it. 2 are fine because they hate me lol! They hide for a bit when i steal 1 so they didn't get any. This one who likes me has a "stretchy neck" I'm
not sure what to call it. He stretches up like his heads too heavy and puts his head in to drink but rests it like that took a lot out of him. When I put him back in the brooder he stumbles around but drinks. So I'm just holding him on a magic bag holding a dish of water (with a pinch of salt)

He figured out the eggs and is drinking a ton. He's not so floppy just clumsy looking. Which l mean...clumsy-er than the others. But seems to be coming around. Thanks for your help and feedback. It helped both of us I think.
I was wondering if I should make up the electrolyte recipe (minus the sweetner) so I guess also add a pinch of baking soda? Or is that the opposite of what we're doing?

Sorry 4 cups to a gallon. I looked up the recipe again.
4:1

I suppose that would be enough to have negative consequences.

Being a lifelong diabetic myself, things like whole wheats and leafy greens are what you can eat to help if your blood sugar gets too high. But ideally you are to drink gallons and gallons of water and flush it out. Trying to get as much as possible without aspirating the little one is the best.

He figured out the eggs and is drinking a ton. He's not so floppy just clumsy looking. Which l mean...clumsy-er than the others. But seems to be coming around. Thanks for your help and feedback. It helped both of us I think.
I was wondering if I should make up the electrolyte recipe (minus the sweetner) so I guess also add a pinch of baking soda? Or is that the opposite of what we're doing?
No, just plain water and the egg.

Back
Top Bottom