Too sensitive?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I am just wanting some opinions about whether or not I was too sensitive about something that happened today.

My husband is working a booth at our county fair this month, (the Los Angeles County fair with about 1.3 million people attending every year). It is a lot of work with long hours. He has a guy helping him this weekend and next who had to drive in from about an hour away. Due to the long hours, my husband offered to let him stay at our house last night so that he wouldn't have to drive all the way home and back. No problem there.

This morning I met the man for the first time, (I was in bed by the time they got home last night). I chatted with him a bit as I was fixing sandwiches for my husband and him to have for lunch. My boys, (ages 6.5 and 8) were playing in the adjoining living room. The boys were playing a game that involved them wrestling around a bit which is nothing new in our house. They were not fighting, but playing a game. This man that I just met decided he didn't like the way they were playing and told them to stop, that they should be nice to each other since they are brothers. OK... that seemed a bit forward to me since I, their mother, was right there and they weren't fighting. I asked him if he has any children. He said he has a boy and a girl. I mentioned that my boys tend to wrestle around a lot but they don't get into physical fights other than the occasional pushing I believe all siblings do. He proceeded to tell me that he doesn't think any kind of physcial play like that should be allowed because it leads to violence in the end. He advised me not to allow my children to wrestle around with each other any more or they will soon be violent with other people.

WHAT?? I don't mind if he has that opinion, but I certainly didn't care for him lecturing my children or myself in my own home, especially after I opened my home to him and did everything I could to ensure he had a pleasant night. Am I just being to sensitive about this or would you also feel that he was out of order?

Last edited:
I'm with Rooster-Red, the man is a moronic, opinionated fellow and you are justified in your annoyance!
hmm.png
Heck, I believe boys simply HAVE to wrestle for natural development!
lol.png

Quote:
I agree. Just like I expect my puppies to chew on things, babies to grab everything in sight, and teenagers to sometimes be moody and sullen, I think young boys play rough as part of their development.

I was further annoyed at the man's interrogation of how I homeschool, but at least I am used to people asking me about that.

I have to agree, that's out of line. Now I can see my husband telling your kids to stop and be nice to each other, but it would be purely based on the fact that we have no children and he's used to the quiet and it would totally drive him nut. Not that that is right either, but to lecture you is WAY out of line.

First mistake was letting a stranger into the house. Second mistake was not telling him to shut up and mind his own business. Sorry, that is my opinion, but I am a cranky old geezer.

Rufus

I agree with everyone else. He was a guest in your home, and therefore he had no rights to 'correct' your children when you had no problem with what they were doing- heck, even if you DID have a problem with what they were doing.

That makes for an awkward situation, doesn't it? Hopefully you wont have to have him as an overnight guest again.

Man, You have amazing patience.
1. If I were you, I would have kicked him out in that moment. He has absolutely no right to tell your kids what to do or to tell you how to raise your kids. And ten times worse doing it in YOUR home.

2. That's what boys do. They are boys, I think if someone never allowed their boys to wrestle and play, they would grow up repressed and seriously screwed up. Hasn't this guy ever heard of the phrase "Boys will be boys."

yes he was ou t of line..but since YOU are the host and a gracious one at that, I would think that you would have something to say that would grease the wheel and forget it.
Smile and thank him for his advise..and change the subject and forget it.

Back
Top Bottom