Too sensitive?

Two separate issues:

1) He is an idiot, and wrong. And has, let's say, issues with physicality that he should work out on his own.

2) Even if he was 100% right, he's a guest in your house, and has no business lecturing you on your childrearing shortcomings. That's their grandmother's job.
wink.png

I will correct another person's child, and even speak to the parent about controlling the kid -- when the kid has done something that impinges on my person and property. Like, say, running up to my dog and screaming in her face, or assaulting my computer on a table in a cafe.

But your kids were in the other room, not breaking his stuff or bouncing off of him.

As a mother of 4 boys and 1 girl, I will say this... YES, he was completely out of line in telling you what you should and should not let your children do in your own home and NO he would not understand the boy wrestling thing. I can see where him having one daughter and one son would clearly make him oblivious to boys and the wrestling thing. Of course he wouldn't want his son wrestling around with his daughter. That's not acceptable here either, because we don't want the girly to get hurt and that is not how we want our sons to treat girls. Until this "visitor" has more than one boy, he will never understand.
smile.png
Those are the kind of comments that I receive every once in a while. You learn to just smile and let it roll off your back. Chin up! He's gone, right?!?!
wink.png

Wow.....I DO NOT think I would have handled that quite so nice as you. He was way out of line and you are totally justified in feeling the way you do.

I have three boys (4 if hubby counts). They LOVE to wrestle and it looks so brutal sometimes. We actually shove the coffee table out of the way clearing out the living room floor just for that purpose. I whine and scream and say OMG you are hurting him until they stop everything, all 4 stare at me and say "would you go outside or something".

Well, thanks for the replies, it makes me feel better. I pretty much did just thank him for his concern and go on with what I was doing. I guess he brought it up with my husband later in day and my husband simply said "that's just how they play". He will be staying with us one more night next weekend, but like before I will only see him for about 30mins in the morning. I can handle being gracious for that long.
tongue.png

I agree with everyone - you were much nicer than I would have been. He stepped over the line.

I don't have a problem with close friends or family getting onto my boys, but I have a big problem with a complete stranger who is a guest in my home out of the kindness of DHs heart.

Back
Top Bottom