Too skinny runt chick

LadyGunnar

Chirping
May 30, 2019
utah
My runt chick is now 14 weeks old. It has been 1/3 of the size of its hatchmates since 2 weeks old. It has struggled from the start. Same parents. It looks scruffy. I have been checking it's crop. It's full at night and empty in the morning. It is skinny. Very very skinny. It stays by itself now. The other ones have left it behind. They fly up to roost and the runt cant fly.

They are chick starter and get a handfull of scratch in the morning, leftover fruit and veggies scraps.

It is struggling to keep upright. It keeps trying to get to the other chicks. I have separated it and it cries and trashed to get back to the others. It wears itsdelf out and can't stand at that point. It will trash out like it's dying. It will recover after an hour or so.

I don't know what to do with it. I feel like some thing is wrong with this chick. I have tried to help it along. Is it best to cull it at this point? It eats a lot, poops fine, at times she will run around but then wears out quickly.

All the other chicks are healthy, big and strong. Nothing is wrong with them at all. This one has struggled from the start. Thanks.

Bless her heart. Wondering since the others aren't picking on her and she cries out to be with her flock, if it would be best to just put her in with the others as long as they don't hurt her. Is there a way to make her a lower perch or maybe lift her up with the others each night until she gains enough strength?? The fact that she is eating and pooping fine is a good thing. Hoping other more experienced members will chime in soon. I have a soft heart for runts.

Bless her heart. Wondering since the others aren't picking on her and she cries out to be with her flock, if it would be best to just put her in with the others as long as they don't hurt her. Is there a way to make her a lower perch or maybe lift her up with the others each night until she gains enough strength?? The fact that she is eating and pooping fine is a good thing. Hoping other more experienced members will chime in soon. I have a soft heart for runts.

She can't get down from the roosts. She sits up there or falls down. The others are leaving her behind. She can't keep up and is getting worse.

Good morning,I would try giving it some scrambled egg. lots of others on here with more experience than me hopefully they will have some ideas for you. A picture of it and a poop picture should help.

Good morning,I would try giving it some scrambled egg. lots of others on here with more experience than me hopefully they will have some ideas for you. A picture of it and a poop picture should help.

I will try to get a picture. She is back with the flock. She has struggled since she was hatched. I wonder if something is wrong with her physically and it's killing her now that she is getting bigger. My 3 week old cochins are bigget than she is.

I went to check on her again and she is gone. Thanks.
I wish I would have known earlier and not put so much time into trying to save her.
I'm so sorry. Sounds like you did everything you could for her and gave her the best life you could while she was here. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom