Too small of a coop!

I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice an increase in aggressive behavior. That coop (only because you have that large of a secure run) should be fine. They'll only stay in it in the worst weather anyway.

EDIT TO ADD: My coop is the same size as yours but I redesigned the roosts so that I have 14 feet of ladder type roosts and a tiny corner one for the bantam rooster since he's kind of a loner and doesn't like to roost with anyone.

Last edited:
Here, I thought a picture might help. Don't mind the cardboard. This picture was taken when they were still small and trying to sleep in the nest boxes.
roll.png

InsideCoopwithNewRoost.jpg

I would say go with it. My density is about 2sf per and no problem. My coop has plenty of roosting space and nests. The birds have a large run and never confined in the coop unless by choice. Chickens are adaptive. Keep close eye on their behavior and adjust as needed.

The only thing I am not certain is 2 roosters since I only have hens.

You could always build a little extra coop on the other side of the run or next to the other coop. It could just be a box off the ground with some roosts. (4x4 would hold 4 more chickens)

Back
Top Bottom