Too small of a coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CinnamonQueen12, Nov 3, 2011.

1. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    We have a 4 by 6 chicken coop. We thought it would work. We only had 6 chickens. The we decided to get 10 and stop there. It seemed like a good idea, too, until our order of 4 baby chicks went down to 2. We had to order three more. Then one of our older chickens died, so we again had 10, until I hatched a deformed chick and 2 roosters. We wanted to keep the roosters because they protect the deformed chick from the older ones. Now we are adopting a 4-week-old from the vets office. Now where does that leave us....? Oh yes, 14 chickens total. Will 12 hens and 2 roos fit comfortably in a 4 by 6 coop? If not, what are some suggestions? (p.s. the shortened version of my life since getting chickens proved that there never is a dull moment with chickens!)

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    thats a pretty tight fit.....guess you need a bigger coop or less chickens!!!...just having 6 chickens in that size coop was probably just right

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    I have a 8x8 coop and am only planning on having 8-10 total in mine.

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    At 4 sq ft per bird minimum a 4x6 coop (24 sq foot) should hold no more than 6 chickens.

There are exceptions to the rule, but the smaller coops -- such as a 4x6 -- hardly ever really "qualify" for those exceptions. I would definitely either build another coop or cull some chickens.

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    You can always add a larger run to the coop you already have. Chickens kinda pile up to sleep anyway - whether they're on the roost or sleeping on the floor. But they need more room to roam around during the day.

6. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:I have a 12 x 14 sheltered (but not covered) run attached to my 4x6 coop in addition to the covered area directly beneath the coop itself. This works for my flock of 12 LF and 5 bantam birds. I have no issues with feather picking or mean-ness. When we are all outside, they get to free-range. I think that helps a lot, too. Also, I don't keep my water or feed in the coop. It is strictly a Ft Knox shelter/roost/egg box.

7. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Well our run is more than 24x12(and i mean like several feet more than. 24x12 is a rough estimation from a few months ago before we extended the area several feet) our coop was prebuilt when we bought it but if anyone can give us tips on how to extend a premade coop without damaging anything...

btw, this is what our coop looks like---> http://www.hunterdonmill.com/images/Cupola/4x6chicken-coop.jpg

8. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Is there any way to build on to a premade coop?

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    chicken math!!! make a bigger coop and buy more chicks for the old coop.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

There are always ways to build on to a coop, even a premade one, as long as you are handy enough and have decent tools to get the job done. In your situation, I tend to agree with the poster who suggested building a bigger coop (or buying a shed and converting) or another coop, and just using two coops.
    Most on here suggest around 4 sq. ft of indoor space, at least if you're in an area that experiences snows in winter time. But the smallest amount of space I've read of people using (mostly in areas that don't get winters, and therefore the birds are ONLY inside for roosting) is 2 sq. ft. per bird, and your current coop doesn't even offer that. Because of how narrow your current coop is, I'm not even sure how you'd manage 14 ft. of roost space...???
    You're in good company with being in this situation at least...lol...as chicken math catches up with a lot of folks real quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by