too soon for treats?

I hope someone can answer this question for you better then me.I've only ever fed my little chickies egg but I think they were 2 weeks old not positive.I say wait just bc there digestive system isn't the same as a full grown chickens and it might be hard for them to process/digest it.Also if you add chick grit when if you do decide to give them a treat when there 1 or 2 weeks older it is suppose to help the chicks digest stuff better.Hope this Helps!would love to hear what other people say.

if they weren't Marek's vaccinated... bring in a clump of that dirt with grass attached and all. They will have a good time partying it up while getting some grit and some exposure to the stuff in your soil helping to build immunity early on.

Early access to grit does help the gizzard become better developed.

I think chick feed is most important. It has all the nutrients they need in the correct balance. Treats should never be more than 10% of the total daily allowance and in my opinion best used as a relationship confidence builder/bribe for friendliness in shy birds.

Even nutritious treats like scrambled egg should only be given in moderation.. while it's a great source of high quality protein (34%) and other vitamins and minerals.. it's also about 64% fat.

Please note that medicated feed JUST mimics thiamine to SLOW the growth of coccidia (by starving them out) which are in EVERY single chicken poo. Keeping water poo free is key. Some people still need to treat, so still be vigilant. :)

Happy chickeneering! :wee

Have 6 day old chicks, some silkies. How soon can I give them treats? I have them on Medicated chick crumbles. Can they eat dried fruit,softened in water? specifically, cherries? Or should I wait until they are in the coop and run with access to grit?
I was leaning toward caution. But wanted a second opinion. With them still in the brooder, I think treats best wait a bit. I don't provide grit for my birds outside because Arkansas soil is very rocky, and there is plenty of grit to be found naturally.

I do give treats to my little ones, but the very first thing they have access to it grit. Provide your babies with grit even if the only thing they are eating is chick starter.
You can try the dried cherries - at that age, I doubt all they will do is give them a taste or they may even just circle around chirping and making inquisitive noises. Worst case, they are scared of it LOL
I would only provide 1 softened cherry for the whole brooder, chop it up finely.

They do need to be eating chick starter for the majority of their diet.
Scrambled egg is usually a bit hit with chicks (all chickens really) you can give them a little of those as a treat if you wish.

If you don't purchase grit, get a dishpan and shovel - give your chicks a shovel full of that Arkansas rocky soil - they will pick out bits that they need and soon discover they love dusting in that too. (they will make a mess! be warned)

Are these partridge? Sorry, my tablet takes terrible pics. One looks almost blue, the other yellow
IMG_20190225_175427.jpg

My stock tank brooder. I don' have a thermometer, I adjust the light if they get cold. So far they have just laid in a ring around the light

Attachments

• IMG_20190225_180918.jpg
    IMG_20190225_180918.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20190225_180909.jpg
    IMG_20190225_180909.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom