Too Soon to Lay an Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenLittle74, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ChickenLittle74

ChickenLittle74 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Good morning! Long time forum browser... first time poster!

I have 7 hens and one Roo. They are 3 months old.

Yesterday I found one of my Rhode Island Reds standing outside by herself, the others were in the coop. I thought it was rather odd, so I went to investigate.

After entering the run, the others came outside to greet me. The Red stood next to me and squatted. To my surprise, she laid an egg! It had a very soft shell and broke as soon as it hit the ground.

I'm worried it's way too soon for my girls to be laying eggs. I've done a little research on this and I found some posts that say they could be getting too much protein or have the wrong type of feed. I give them the required feed for their age. I'm so confused and worried!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I hope it turns out to be just an odd thing and all goes well from here. I doubt very much you did anything wrong. Strange things happen in their egg laying systems sometimes.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    If their starting to lay you should feed them laying pellets 17 %. Also, provide them with oyster shells. I have the oyster shell in a separate feeder. They won't eat a whole lot of it so you won't need much. Here's my oyster shell feeder. You can use a small container attac[​IMG]hed to the wall if you wanna go that route.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by