Too young to tell if roo?

NorthChicken

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
Caribou, Maine (almost in Canada!)
My barred rock is the most assertive of the bunch. Always the first to the open brooder door, first to investigate any new item, first to jump on my arm/lap. Also seems the bossiest of the group!

I'm worried that she acts like a rooster. I had them supposedly sexed through My Pet Chicken, but I know there isn't a 100% guarantee that they are all females.

2.5 weeks old

It is a bit too young to tell for sure. I would recommend posting new photos in a few weeks in the What Breed or Gender is This? section of the forum. Usually, a Barred Rock male will make its gender obvious by week 4-5. "Bossiness" can be a sign of a rooster, but even hens will assert their dominance and may become somewhat pushy.

I will grab some more pictures of the others tomorrow, although she is my only barred rock. She definitely has the biggest comb out of the group, but wasn't sure if that breed of chicken just gets a bigger comb vs my welsummer, speckled sussex, and cochins.

She also seems to protect the little flock, I've seen her charge towards my son and my dog (a shih tzu). Not sure if a rooster move or just a dominant hen move! She is super friendly though, always the first to come over to say hello and fall asleep on me.

She also seems to protect the little flock, I've seen her charge towards my son and my dog (a shih tzu). Not sure if a rooster move or just a dominant hen move! She is super friendly though, always the first to come over to say hello and fall asleep on me.

Yes, even a hen can act like a rooster, being dominant and protective of the other hens.

Back
Top Bottom