Took a chance. It paid off!

Skyesrocket

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Last fall I purchased 2 cuckoo maran hens. I have searched high and low around here for a rooster or eggs ever since with no luck.
A friend called me and said she bought some eggs for eating at an auction and they were the chocolate brown eggs like my hens lay.
The night time temps were still in the teens then, we knew nothing about the eggs, didn't know if the seller had a rooster, all good reasons not to incubate them. I took six eggs anyway and set them.
Out of the six eggs 4 chicks hatched today. 3 are cuckoo marans. The fourth chick looked like an odd ball because it was light colored. I figured it's daddy was something other than a maran. But I looked it up online and it looks like a silver maran. From what I read the silvers will pop up from time to time in cuckoo parents.
Anyway, not sure if they are purebred or not, but they are all chubby, and healthy. I'm glad I took the chance on the "eating eggs".
wink.png

big_smile.png
Thanks!
I would say the odds weren't good. My main concern were the freezing temps. And because they were sold as eating eggs they could have been in a refrigerator. Plus not knowing if they even had a rooster.
Needless to say I asked my friend to keep an eye open for anymore that come through the auction.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom