Took my chicken to the vet today--

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I am not going to do it anymore. I didnt realize chickens were so ...... uh.... well lower on the intelligence scale lets just say

What she has is not contaigous because she was with the flock for 2 months while this was going on and all of them are perfectly fine. The vet & Cornell also felt this wasnt something contageous.

I did it because I didnt want her to fall into a depression mode that would be keeping her from eating. When I did set with her in the coop, she did go over and pick at the food and had her tail up, was walking around and I thought it would help perk her up, and it did, as long as they werent there threatening her.

But I know now its probablly not a good idea. Just trying anything I can.

I brought her in because she couldnt roost anymore and my BO started to pick on her, so I could not leave her in there. I didnt want to seperate her because of just this but it was necessary.

I didnt think they wouldnt recognize her if they continued to see her every day, thanks for letting me know that they will keep thinking she is a new hen.....

Thanks for giving us an update. like spish said don't put her around the others to you deff. know what your dealing with plus it's too stressful for her at this point. I will be thinking about you both and hoping for some good changes in the next day or so now that you have her on some meds. yes please let us know what the results from fecal. Blessings
hugs.gif

Have you checked for lice/mites? They suck the life out of the birds.

I have a very similar situation going on. The pullet is staying with a young cockerel in a brooder in the garage. She is the only survivor of a batch of chicks I got from someone else. They all just died off one by one.....she is about 5 months old now but extremely thin. She does eat on her own though. I won't be taking her to the vet but will allow her to stay in the garage brooder until springtime if need be. I give her scrambled eggs off and on and some scratch. She loves the scratch. I'm halfway tempted to just give her scratch all the time, maybe it'll fatten her up.

I know it's tempting but scratch has no nutritional value, try her on some can cat food, tuna or lean beef to get her weight up also blk. oil sunflower seeds. Yogurt, mealworms you want her healthy not fat.
smile.png

Yes shes been checked for mites and treated for mites, it wasnt that. Shes also been wormed.

There is something internal going on. I personally think her liver may be shot, but we'll see....

She is young, but it is still possible she is laying internally. I have had several do this over the years. The last one became stick thin. I tried worming, cajoling with yummy foods, you name it...... I had her in most of the winter last year. She was tube fed during the worst of it. She would get a little better but not much. Eventually, when she died, I opened her up. I found a ton of yellow yolk like material in her- hardly room for anything else. I am not sure how she hung on that long. She was a few years old though- not as young as yours......

Back
Top Bottom