Took my chicken to the vet today--

LauraG

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Upstate, NY
I have been nursing my Auracana for 2 months now-

droopy feathers, puffed up, yellow poop, bone thin, head shaking.

I have tried everything I know over the last 2.5 months- wormer, Ivomec por-on, electrolytes, vitamins, Tylan-50, heat lamp, etc etc

Last night she was too weak to roost. Today there was neon green poop in the coop from where I lifted her on the roost.

The last straw was that my BO started plucking mouthfuls of feathers off her and I wont let that happen.
somad.gif

They never picked on her before today. Almost like they know she is sick.

Well, brought her to my vet. He said she probablly wont make it.

Told me to definately treat her for coccidia. And to tube feed her. He gave me a tube and a syringe. Told me to make a gruel with maybe like a chick mash or something.

The tech there said she lost 2 to "winter coccidiosis". I never heard of this, but she says when the cold hits they become supressed and their immune system dives and there could be some coccidia in her system that just takes over. She DID however start to nosedive when it got cold a couple months ago

I would think that if she had coccidia she would be dead already or the others would be ill, which none of them are thank god

She is in my spare bedroom in a dog crate with heat. I tube fed her because she wouldnt eat on her own. I tried to give her scrambled eggs.

I also dosed her with Corid when I tube fed her

Send good vibes she makes it. Sometimes I think all this handling and stress makes it worse so Ive been as gentle as possible.

So sad, I love her so much
hit.gif

Thanks for listening

Last edited:
Hugs for you and positive thoughts for your girl. I just spent a grand on one of mine today and know how you feel. I hope the extra TLC will be what she needs.

What's her name?

I hope she makes it. You've done everything you could for her. It's up to her now.

Good luck to you both.

Thank you, I just neded to vent to people who understand.

My boyfriend is no help- to him its just a chicken and hes not very compassionate

Her name is Ariel....

I woke up at 3am to check on her, make sure it was warm enough in the room for her..

At 6am she was standing in the cage. Not eating or anything, but standing there.......

Happy to see her alive. Her crop is still full, I dont know if I should try to tube feed her or not???

Here is her picture taken this morning....She was knuckling over when I first saw her......

54076_ariel_january_2011_3.jpg

she is a gorgeous little gal
smile.png

try tempting her with scrambled eggs mixed with natural yoghurt..the yoghurt will help her intestinal flora. im always wary of 'force feeding' chickens, it can go soo wrong if you get it in their lungs.

ive heard of using a milk flush to treat coccidia really helps..its an 'old skool' method they used in the olden days; i believe it just means giving your chicken raw milk in their food? (cows or goats) it coats their intestines and contains helpful bacteria and enzymes. it has to be the raw kind though

Last edited:
So sorry about your Ariel. I hope that she pulls through, certainly you're doing everything you can for her. If her crop is still full I don't believe that tube feeding is indicated right now. I would keep an eye on her crop to see if it is just emptying slowly, or not at all. Just as with every living thing, sometimes despite our best efforts, it is simply their time. She's lucky to have such a caring owner.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom