Took some birds to the county fair...

jossanne

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Gila, New Mexico
Well, I haven't taken any of my birds to the county fair for a few years, after a near tragedy last time. But I gave in and took 8 down there this morning. Our county is very rural, so just about all the birds are hatchery birds, and half the people don't even know what breeds they have. It's obviously not APA-sanctioned. But it's fun, and if we don't support these little poultry shows, I'm afraid they'll go away.

So I took my partridge silkie pullet and black silkie cockerel, whose eggs came from equus2 in Utah. They're much nicer than the one white silkie that is in the 4-H show, but they're not competing against him since they're in the open show. So far, they're the only 3 silkies there.

I took a welsummer, a buff-laced EE, and a silver-laced polish. I also took two young bantam cochin cockerels who are looking for new homes. They're not filled out properly yet, so I'm sure they won't do anything in the show, but hopefully there will be someone there who will take them home.

I also took my royal palm turkey, and hopefully he'll do well. The other turkeys all look like broad-breasted bronze to me, and King Henry is much prettier than they are.

Anyway, the whole thing makes me a little nervous. Luckily I'm less than a mile from the fairgrounds, so I can be down there a lot watching over them. Last time I took birds, someone came in the middle of the night and opened every cage, and when I got there to feed in the morning there were people with nets and hooks rounding up chickens, ducks, geese, etc., from the dry creek bed, parking lot, and all over the place. They were putting them all together in the biggest cages so the owners could sort them out and put them back where they belong. Miraculously, all birds were recovered. They've since changed the poultry and rabbit barn so it's more secure, and hopefully nothing like that will happen again.

Wish me and my cute little birds luck!

Quote:
HAHA Yeah, me and my hubby and 6 kids would be a good deterrent for any pranksters!
thumbsup.gif

Yeah, ours are there til Sunday too. Waiting for my daughter's friend to get here so we can head back down there with them.

Good luck to you!

It was a different experience. There was not a lot of variety, and the judge seemed really partial to Rhode Island Reds (not that there is anything wrong with those
wink.png
) They won in bantam, lf in the jr and the adult division. There was only judging on place like 1st, 2nd and then Reserve Champ, and Champ (featherleg and nonfeather leg I think) So confusing. I feel badly for my little ones. I don't think I will do this again. I have already been to the grounds three times after I dropped them off. I wonder what they would do if I just went and picked them up. No one is really there or watching them??????

Good luck to you too!

Ours aren't judged til Friday. I can't believe judging is done already there. And luckily, there's always a supervisor in the barn. I bet there aren't more than 100 chickens at ours, if that many.

I just walked right in this morning, and no one was there. The barn is not fully closed, so no way to lock it. I fed my babies. and gave them some more shavings. I might move them to another cage no that judging is over. They are on the bottom, and it is a little drafty.

I don't get why they judge so early either.

i would think they judge as early as they can so the birds dont get dirty sitting there all week before judging

Back
Top Bottom