Toos and Vlad

'I'm with them every day and I don't see the growth until I look back at pictures of them'

Tee hee There's a rectangle cut in the wire of the corner of my back yard. It's been there since the clutch of nine used to use it. They were small enough to sit in a bucket then. But the other day, I saw Tooshtoosh, now six feet high, scootch through it.

'I also underestimated of how smart they are......they learn from their mistakes straight away just like dogs.'

This really interests me. It's hard to see a 'mistake' in the behaviour of the wild birds.

But memory? Over years, it's been interesting to watch the generations learning to navigate the gates of the backyard -- there's a backyard, but it has six egress points, including the car port.

Present conclusion: emooz not so bright, but got awesome memories.

SE

Frosty morning here in Ireland, but the emus loved running on the frozen grass!
20191201_222328.jpg
20191201_222209.jpg
20191201_222120.jpg
20191201_221956.jpg
20191201_221939.jpg
20191201_221931.jpg
20191201_221904.jpg

'I've read that Emu's don't mind cold & snow.'

Although it slips most folks' attention, Diva, Australia has oodles of snow. And the emus' rage extends at least to the 'lower line' of those areas. And we've seen so many photos, from the U.S., of happy emoooz cavorting about in seriously snowy areas.

SE

[Tooshtoosh and Mrs. here for breakfast.]

So a big update on my Emus, so my Emus are growing fast and are now a year and 8 months old and I’m just wondering about the sexes, I think it’s still male and female but I just want to be sure.

My female (Drogan) was the bigger chick and still is the biggest (not by a lot but still is), in June both my Emus suddenly switched personalities?!?!

My female which was always friendly and happy to be rubbed switched to not liking to be rubbed and started walking differently too. Vlad my male hated to be rubbed and was shy now loves to be rubbed and tame.

My question is, do I have a male and a female? I think I do from research but would like to be certain 🤔

So the first emu sound came from my male in May which sounded like a “grrr” and he only made that noise when we had a thunderstorm in the distance when he would grrrr when thunder was rumbling and funny enough the grrr sounded a lot like the thunder. I haven’t heard anything from him since the thunderstorm season ended in July and he doesn’t make any noises anymore.

In July my female started making noises, it started with a grrrr and changed to a sort of grunt. She makes this noise every day but at certain times of the day so not continuously.

I hear her grunt randomly during the day but it’s most frequent early in the morning and late at night.

It was in August when we had a party with loud music when I noticed my female starting to walk funny in the field and trying to get into the yard. Her walk made me think she was female but I’m still not sure. The next day I put on the music again and straight away she reacted which I found interesting. She doesn’t react to slow and soft music but only reacts to pumping loud music. It was in September when she started walking funny and grunting at the same time, so my guess is that I do have a male and female?

The male walked the same as the female for a few seconds when the music was on but only does it when the music is on while the female does it 24/7.

Now, she doesn’t mind being rubbed but still isn’t as tame like she was like back in March which I don’t care about but it’s so strange that both of their personalities changed.

Both forge in the fields all day separately until feeding time, both emus just click and know at 5 pm exactly it’s feeding time.

They sleep together usually on the same spot but move once their sleeping area gets dirty.

They refuse to sleep in their shed ever since spring!

They also don’t see my poultry as toys anymore (thank goodness!).

Back
Top Bottom