Top of Run..Hardware Cloth or Other??

navychick

Songster
8 Years
May 17, 2011
We will be building our run soon and I insisted my husband buy hardware cloth for the sides. He bought 1/2". I was wondering if we could use a different type of fencing for the top and still maintain the security we are hoping to provide. What are your opinions?

I think it depends on how secure you want your run to be, what you can afford, and what type of area you live in (climate, predators, etc.) We have friends who have only poultry wire on top. I personally want something more secure for mine, so I will be going with hardware cloth. I would also like to put a roof over part of my run. Also have to consider the weight of snow, as it sometimes snows pretty good here.

I used 1" woven wire fencing. It's tougher than hardware cloth (both in wire gauge and b/c it is woven instead of welded) and it's easier to work with. Generally on the top of the run you don't have to worry about raccoon hands reaching in, as you do on the bottom 2 feet of the sides. I got a 50 foot roll of the 4 foot woven wire fencing and then "sewed" 3 11 foot segments together using wire to make an 11x11 foot piece, which worked great on my 10x10 kennel run. I attached it to my pen top using stainless steel cable ties. Cable ties and woven wire fencing were both purchased at Lowe's.

I don't have closeups but you can see the edge coming down in this pic. I didn't tidy up the side b/c when I add a second 10X10 kennel on, this piece that overhangs will go up on top of the new run and be "sewn" together w/ that run's top. Hope that helps!

19926_pentop4.jpg

Last edited:
we used chicken wire, two layers in some places, then covered with a 2x4 over the top to suspend the waterer and feeder, then covered with a tarp to keep the hot sun off the chickens...then they free range all day....if you can afford Hardware cloth, go ahead...you may sleep better at night, depending on where you live and what varmits you have.

I would definitely recommend some type of roof or cover from the rain/sun - even if it is a tarp. My ladies love being in the run even when the weather isnt so great, and it makes cleanup a lot easier!

We have hardware cloth on top and a metal roof over that - those raccoons can easily climb!

Quote:
Keep in mind, though, that a tarp over a flat wire roof will, at the first big rainstorm, fill w/ rain and tear your wire roof off--possibly injuring chickens in the process. I tried this at first and it does NOT work. Hence the pitched roof in my pix.
wink.png

We opted for the clear plastic panels, keeps all the rain and debris out but allows the sun in, a little more cost but super secure and we get lot's of snow and slides right off.

58941_run1.jpg

Many variables.. i know for us since the run is daytime use only, we have small wooden privacy lattice and chicken wire over top that, ours is a dog run though.

Back
Top Bottom