Tophat babies, what are they?

ddhyland

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Middle Tennessee
I just could not resist these little chicks and bought four. They guy did not know exactly what type they were. He had ordered Tophat chicks from McMurray Hatchery. Will have to get better picks later, these were on my cell phone. Please ignore the background mess.

A light grayish color

B Matches chick A, light grayish color

C Kind of strange looking, black back and whitish yellow

D Black, white and pouf is yellow

Oh and great choice on the spitzhaubens, I have one hen and one rooster. The roo might be a little wacky but the hen is one of my favorite birds ...and I have more than a hundred to choose from ;)

The first two could also be silver Polish but I would have expected to see a more defined crest. The middle one could be a mottled Houdan. The last is a white crested black Polish .

The top ones that are grayish yellowish are Appenzeller Spitzhaubens.
No clue on the middle one.
Bottom one is a White Crested Black Polish.
But MMM hatchery doesn't have Sptizhaubens. Here are the choices listed...

Top Hat Special is an assortment including at least 4 different crested varieties from this list: White Crested Black Polish, Buff Laced Polish, Golden Polish, Silver Polish, White Polish, Mottled Houdans, Crevecoeurs, and Sultans.

I do think C is a Houdan, she (hoping for girls) has 5 toes. I think the lady was wrong on where they came from. The chicken guy who orders them was not there when I asked about them because I am almost sure the 2 that are alike are Spitzhaubens. I think I am going to go back and see if they have anymore and see if the guy is there this morning. They are very neat looking chickens.

Back
Top Bottom