Topic of the Week - Chicken Behaviour and Flock Dynamics Part 2 - Bullying Behaviour

Many times, especially with first time owners, is what is enough room for chicks, is not enough room for full size birds. As the birds mature, they need more space, and can become quite aggressive.

Wishing birds would just be nice, really does not work. I always solve for the peace of the flock. Sometimes I have found it is the victim and sometimes it is the bully, but aggressive behavior will dramatically decrease your pleasure in the birds, so you need to do something about it.

Measure your space - not enough, then you need to make bigger or reduce the flock. Try pulling out the victim... how does the flock act, is the tension gone? If not, try pulling out the bully... wait a day or two and see. Sometimes I am not sure if it is which bird that is pulled, or simply that you have reduced the number of birds, but sometimes it is a particular bird that is not fitting into your flock, for whatever reason. Sometimes cull both the victim and the bully.

Once I had coons reduce my numbers, within days I noticed a tremendous decrease in the tension of the flock. I had not really even been aware of the tension before, but once it was gone, it was very noticeable. I am now very aware of tension in the flock. Get rid of it, and the most efficient way is to get rid of the birds involved. Count heads, and know that this is a better fit for your set up.

I know many of you hate to cull, but I am telling you a happy flock is worth it.

Mrs K

At the moment, we have 90+ birds (5 roo's, the rest hens) ranging from 3 mo old to 4 yrs in one coop. We also free range our birds on 1.7 acres, so most are only in the coop either at night or when laying eggs. We also have 3 tiers and 5 areas in the coop. A shelf that was supposed to be for storage up high (which they pushed everything off of!), 2 sets of roosts on either side of the door and the space under each roost (we have a shelf of plywood directly under the roost to catch poo). While I only have one waterer, we have between 8-10 feeders spread around the coop for the days they are cooped up due to inclement weather (ie snowy/sub zero).....While we rarely have problems with a true bullie, We won't tolerate meanies/bullies in either hens nor especially roos.... those end up in the soup pot. I don't think it is fair to saddle someone else with your problem birds. IMO, the breed of birds and space they have to roam, play a big factor in how the birds get along. My Speckled Sussex's seem to be on the bottom of the pecking order, so they get special treatment with some treats in area's the others don't frequent.... I try to keep the more docile breeds, which helps. Right now, I have Isa-Browns, Barred Rocks, Buff Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Australorps, Light Brahma's, a Hen Black Langshan, Red Leghorns, White Leghorns and some that are a mix of the above. And also I have one beautiful Roo I have no clue what he is as he came as "a rare breed" surprise. None of these seem to be overly aggressive, although they do have their pecking order.

Watching this thread! My lavender Orpington is HUGE and sometimes just decides to throw her weight around. She's second in command after a Sussex who is definitely the queen, but doesn't usually pick fights the way the Orpington does. I've had to separate the Orpington before and I think I may need to again, but I'm always hesitant to do so when temperatures drop and my loner can't huddle with the others for warmth. :(

It's funny this came up because the number one tip I would give to a new chicken owner is to have two coops (or at least a small space you can keep a chicken that needs to be kept alone). I have 2 coops because I always have a hen that is sick, injured, mean, bullied, broody, raising chicks, etc. I isolate a chicken for any of the above reasons and it helps.

Off with their heads! Eat them!
Ditto Dat^^^......After looking at space and nutrition.
Sometimes a 'time out' can break the habit.
I've had a few bullyish birds, luckily enough space enabled the other birds to stay far away enough so they were not injured, bullies went to top of cull list..they were all delicious.
Never had one so bad that it needed to be culled immediately.

I only have 5 hens who are all close in age(within a few wks of each other), but I have one girl who for whatever reason just hasn't grow like the others. She's at least 35-40 wks old and looks like a pullet and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting eggs from her either. But because she's so small she's the constant victim of whatever meanness that takes place. (Now honestly it doesn't seem to bad for the most part the girls are fairly at peace w/ one another) But I was curious if anyone else had similar experience w/ chicks who just don't seem to mature like they should? And how did you handle that?

I added 2 cochins to my flock, one of them the flock took to without a problem. The other one they didn't. They have pulled her feathers out. No blood shed, but Lucy is bald on her head and various other places. Lucy has stopped laying eggs. I have her in a dog crate inside the coop and let her out when I'm there to watch. Lucy has 3 friends that are always nice to her and hang out with her when she's out of her crate. It is mainly 3 or 4 of the other girls that are mean to her. Right now, I'm just trying to get her feathers grown back. No idea what I'm going to do in the long run.

I'm currently addressing this problem in my flock. A two-year old Cream Legbar has turned into a veritable terrorist. S
My Cream Legbar girl is one of the meanest to poor Lucy!

Back
Top Bottom