Topic of the Week - Coccidiosis

I’m glad this thread was brought to light again because the mention of the Corid product is important. If you can have this on hand, it will benefit you especially if you have other livestock. Make sure to do your homework before giving so you have proper dosage.

20220123_060832.jpg

My chickens got treated for coccidiosis (vet involved) and today I found this.

Is this a sign of reinfection or intestinal shedding? How can you differentiate them if there are no other symptoms?

20220123_060832.jpg

My chickens got treated for coccidiosis (vet involved) and today I found this.

Is this a sign of reinfection or intestinal shedding? How can you differentiate them if there are no other symptoms?
How long ago were they treated?
What medication was used?
How much was used?
How long did you use it?

This test doesn't have to be done by an avian vet. Any vet can do it and it's inexpensive. Then, accordingly, you would treat not just one chicken, but the whole flock.

I just want to mention that this isn’t the case everywhere, though I wish it were.
That is more of the old school world of veterinary medicine.

The new way which is now the norm where I live is:

1 The vet will not run a fecal on any animal unless you bring it in for an examination.

2 The vet will not perform the fecal if it is from an animal they don’t see. “Out of 40+ vets in my county and in my neighboring counties only 5 will see “poultry” and only those 5 will perform a fecal on them....after they’ve been examined.

3 The price of a fecal, or anything, is the price the vet determines that you can afford. Three hearts vet clinic charged me $270 for a fecal, and the results were questionable to say the least. I paid $270 “total of $380 for the day” to get told that she “thinks” they could have giardia and coccidia. She wanted several hundred for SMZ TMP which at the time I could have gotten from cvs for $17.
This bs is pretty normal now around here “northern CA/ Yuba, Butte, Nevada counties.”

I just want to mention that this isn’t the case everywhere, though I wish it were.
That is more of the old school world of veterinary medicine.

The new way which is now the norm where I live is:

3 The price of a fecal, or anything, is the price the vet determines that you can afford. Three hearts vet clinic charged me $270 for a fecal, and the results were questionable to say the least. I paid $270 “total of $380 for the day” to get told that she “thinks” they could have giardia and coccidia. She wanted several hundred for SMZ TMP which at the time I could have gotten from cvs for $17.
This bs is pretty normal now around here “northern CA/ Yuba, Butte, Nevada counties.”
Wowza!! Fecals are high in my area (southern Indiana) but still around $25. I’m thinking your vet must send them off to a lab or something?? That sounds like human insurance scam pricing!! LOL!!
My vet will run a fecal on an unseen bird, as long as I have my animals in the system already. Like, if ANY of my livestock animals are in the system, they’ll work with me on the rest….doesn’t have to be the specific individual they’ve seen in the past.
Doing a basic fecal float for a chicken is really simple - A few weeks ago, I added an article on how to do that. Saves a lot of money, for sure, running your own fecals.

And this is why I’m a huge proponent of running your own fecals - eliminates guesswork on whether a certain med is needed…and a post test for knowing whether the med of choice actually worked!! A basic fecal float is quite simple. For around $100-$125 (or less if you buy a used microscope of ebay or locally), you can run fecal tests for life. I added a step-by-step how-to article last month…

Wowza!! Fecals are high in my area (southern Indiana) but still around $25. I’m thinking your vet must send them off to a lab or something?? That sounds like human insurance scam pricing!! LOL!!
My vet will run a fecal on an unseen bird, as long as I have my animals in the system already. Like, if ANY of my livestock animals are in the system, they’ll work with me on the rest….doesn’t have to be the specific individual they’ve seen in the past.
Doing a basic fecal float for a chicken is really simple - A few weeks ago, I added an article on how to do that. Saves a lot of money, for sure, running your own fecals.
Yeah unfortunatly a lot of vets in my area learned somewhere that it’s okay scam customers out of whatever they can get away with. Not all vets are that way but lately it’s alarming how many think it’s okay to run a business like that.

Back
Top Bottom