Topic of the Week - Deworming chickens

Pics
:rolleyes:
What kind of worms does it have? It it has large roundworms you can use piperazine (Wazine), which in Canada has a zero day egg withdrawal.

-Kathy

I'm actually not sure what type of worms she has. I will try to find out.

These are large roundworms

[VIDEO]
[VIDEO]

Last edited:
I did get your message, but have been on the iPad which is hard to do proper replies from.
sad.png

-Kathy

Flubenvet is a wormer you put in feed. It's in the same class as Panacur, Safeguard, and Valbazen, so it should be effective on the same worms if the proper amount is given.

-Kathy
OK thanks very much for that information. On the subject of iPads, I have never used one at all so you are ahead of me on that one! Just having figured out how to include quotes in my post is my major achievement for the day! By the way, I don't suppose you know where I could find a good video clip of someone demonstrating clearly how to single handedly administer anti worming treatment to hens by mouth using a syringe? I am keen to master this technique! Meanwhile, I am developing a definite interest in the parasitology of poultry...many years ago I studied Zoology in college and parasitology was one of the areas we covered, but the only thing I seem to remember is a few lectures on liver fluke in sheep! Thanks again for all the useful information - much appreciated!

They are great thanks! Dr Tony Gestier is really good! On giving the exact volume of dose required etc. I had noticed that unless I am careful, when sucking up the amount I need into the syringe there will be an air bubble in there which, for small doses like the 0.07ml of antibiotic I am giving one of the hens twice a day, could make the dose quite inaccurate. As with a number of other aspects of dosing the hens, the vet made no mention whatever of this, or gave any instruction on how to handle the birds. I am happier now that I am actually doing a reasonably good job as the way my hens behave is not unlike the hen in the first video you recommended. The method of keeping the thumb partly in the side of the beak while administering the dose is worth trying also...I will go out and get the hen that needs to be dosed this evening and see how I get on. Thanks again. It's good to know where I can get really good advice!

They are great thanks! Dr Tony Gestier is really good! On giving the exact volume of dose required etc. I had noticed that unless I am careful, when sucking up the amount I need into the syringe there will be an air bubble in there which, for small doses like the 0.07ml of antibiotic I am giving one of the hens twice a day, could make the dose quite inaccurate. As with a number of other aspects of dosing the hens, the vet made no mention whatever of this, or gave any instruction on how to handle the birds. I am happier now that I am actually doing a reasonably good job as the way my hens behave is not unlike the hen in the first video you recommended. The method of keeping the thumb partly in the side of the beak while administering the dose is worth trying also...I will go out and get the hen that needs to be dosed this evening and see how I get on. Thanks again. It's good to know where I can get really good advice!
Just checked again - after dosing the hen...and now realise it was the index finger she was putting in at the side of/across the opened beak, not the thumb!! Next time I'll try that way.

Based on today's efforts, when I put my finger into/across the open beak I can't see in well enough to know where I am putting the syringe and/or there isn't enough room to put it in!! This is definitely going to be a lengthy learning process! When I was speaking to a friend of mine this evening, who has kept chickens for years, she said that she only worms them very occasionally and uses a spot on treatment called Ivermectin (I think that's it anyway). I have used a spot on treatment for my dogs in the past and wonder what you think of this as an option for my hens? Maybe it doesn't kill all types of worms? Also when handling the hens, I have noticed that the one which had the most clearly visible worm content in her poop is also significantly thinner than the other two. I am hoping that if I have now cleared the worms from her system (day 5 of Panacur was today) she will start to gain weight. My plan is to check her poop tomorrow, and that of the other two, and hopefully all will be clear. What's the best way to check it thoroughly to be sure? (I don't have a binocular microscope but could manage a magnifying glass if you think that would be useful?). I have the 3 hens in individual boxes for the night so I will know who has produced what in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom