Topic of the Week - Deworming chickens

Pics
casportpony
THERE IS A .5% IVERMECTIN

SO I HAD IT RIGHT ON THERE BEFORE

casportpony posted on 3hrsand 8 minutes ago on another BYC worming item

• 1% = 10 mg/ml (injectable for cattle)
  • 0.5% = 5 mg/ml - Pour on for cattle
  • 0.08% = 0.8 mg/ml - Sheep drench (oral)
  • 1.87% = 18.7 mg/ml - Horse paste

1% (10 mg/ml) injectable can be given orally, by injection, and I have read about people using it topically. Maybe I will try that next.

The pour on is 0.5% (5 mg/ml), not 5% (50 mg/ml). It is meant to be used topically, not orally, and never by injection.

1.87% horse paste can be given orally, and I think I read about someone using it topically. Maybe I should add that to my list of experiments.

Ivermectin Sheep Drench is 0.08% (0.8 mg/ml) is given orally.

I will look up doses for all four.
It was not injectable
Nathalie said she used a needless syringe to give the pour on.

Last edited:
Glenda, I think this may have been a PM from me but I must have messed up. Read where you offered somebody dosing help re: de-worming. Math is not my strong suite and I couldn't remember the dosing on Ivermectin even though I have used it before......AND had a window of time that I would actually have help and needed to get my 42 girls and 2 roos medicated. I went with .4 cc. I will be repeating in 10 days so any help you can give me will be appreciated! :)

CHICKCHIC45
I do hope all this mess has some reasonable correct information.
I finally found the correct type you just put on the neck.
I think it is, by drops either a needles syringe or a eye dropper.

I trust both of these people on their dose amount.
thanks for asking and I found your email.

Thank you, I have read through the threads and am a bit confused as to what to give my birds. The Valbazen, is that the OTC sheep Valbazen? I also have access to Sheep drench, goat safeguard (which doesn't work really great for the goats...lol) and injectable ivermectin for the cows. How should I best administer any of these?

Thank you, I have read through the threads and am a bit confused as to what to give my birds.  The Valbazen, is that the OTC sheep Valbazen?  I also have access to Sheep drench, goat safeguard (which doesn't work really great for the goats...lol)  and injectable ivermectin for the cows.  How should I best administer any of these?
The Valbazen is the easiest to give and will treat almost all worms with just one dose (repeat in 10 days). Safeguard has to be given several days in a row.

Is your sheep drench ivermectin or moxidectin?

Back
Top Bottom