Topic of the Week - Deworming chickens

May I ask a question that baffles me?
What and how much in a tsp is 0.5ml (1/2ml)?
HOW MUCH IN A TSP IS 0.08  ML PER LB.?
THANKS
Glenda Heywood

0.5ml=0.1tsp or 1/10
0.08ml=0.016tsp

It is ineffective to use a teaspoon to measure in this case as it doesn't allow for accurate dosing. It would be like trying to use a measuring cup to measure out a 1/2 tsp of salt to put in a biscuit recipe.

Welcome to BYC!

Most people use 0.08 ml per pound, which ends up being ~0.5 ml (1/2 ml) for an average sized laying hen.

THANKS
Glenda Heywood

Why are you baffled? Just google "0.08 ml to teaspoon". :D

THANKS
Glenda Heywood

0.5ml=0.1tsp or 1/10
0.08ml=0.016tsp

It is ineffective to use a teaspoon to measure in this case as it doesn't allow for accurate dosing. It would be like trying to use a measuring cup to measure out a 1/2 tsp of salt to put in a biscuit recipe.

X2!

I know that this dosing stuff can be very confusing, so I put together a little info

If we give Valbazen at 0.08 ml per pound (20 mg/kg), this is how much one gives to their bird:

Math is weight of bird in pounds, times 0.08 ml = amount to give in ml
This is for a 1 pound bird - 1 x 0.08 = 0.08 ml

• 1/4 pound bird gets 0.02 ml
  • 1/2 pound bird gets 0.04 ml
  • 3/4 pound bird gets 0.06 ml
  • 1 pound bird gets 0.08 ml
  • 2 pound bird get 0.16 ml
  • 3 pound bird gets 0.24 ml
  • 4 pound birds gets 0.32 ml
  • 5 pound birds gets 0.4 ml
  • 6 pound birds gets 0.48 ml
  • 7 pound birds gets 0.56 ml
  • 8 pound birds gets 0.64 ml
  • 9 pound birds gets 0.72ml
  • 10 pound birds gets 0.8 ml

The amount shown above applies to Valbazen only.

0.jpg

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Last edited:
Hi! Getting used to navigating the new site with a PC that literally takes 1 1/2 minutes to open each page lol!!
I have a question on worming goslings/geese 12 weeks old: My gander is gaping. We've had wet weather and earthworms everywhere.
Does anyone know if Eprinex/ivomec is a good safe wormer for first time worming and does it kill gape/gizzard worms?
If not does safeguard? I have the SG Goat wormer but do not know the dosage on SG.
Thank you!

Hi! Getting used to navigating the new site with a PC that literally takes 1 1/2 minutes to open each page lol!!
I have a question on worming goslings/geese 12 weeks old: My gander is gaping. We've had wet weather and earthworms everywhere.
Does anyone know if Eprinex/ivomec is a good safe wormer for first time worming and does it kill gape/gizzard worms?
If not does safeguard? I have the SG Goat wormer but do not know the dosage on SG.
Thank you!

Eprinex/Ivomec is not a reliable dewormer... best to use the Safeguard... dosage for poultry is 0.23cc/mL per pound for 5 consecutive days, but let me tag @casportpony to verify it's the same for geese...

Back
Top Bottom