Topic of the Week - Deworming chickens

Pics
I have a mixed flock with chickens, turkeys, and ducks. If i de-worm do I need to keep the ducks seperate? If i use Wazine in the water do i need to monitor how much each chicken is drinking or is it ok if one drinks more than the other?
thank you

Goooooooood afternoon all! Seems like this thread popped up JUST in time! 

I recently purchased a pair of Sulmtalers from RBA, I live in Central Florida, and I received them from Virginia. I've never been a major fan of de-worming or antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. The pair, even after shipping, have shown no signs of worms/stress/disease, but they are still under quarantine at my home. Would it just be safer to worm them before bringing them to our FFA department's poultry area? (Albeit, I will say, I highly HIGHLY doubt the students are worming on a schedule) 

I've always ordered chicks or picked up locally, so I'm apprehensive since it's my first time receiving shipped Juvenile birds, I don't want to introduce anything the local babies didn't have exposure to, thoughts? 

Can you find a vet to do a fecal for you?

-Kathy

I have a mixed flock with chickens, turkeys, and ducks. If i de-worm do I need to keep the ducks seperate? If i use Wazine in the water do i need to monitor how much each chicken is drinking or is it ok if one drinks more than the other?
thank you
Welcome to BYC!

If you want to worm the ducks that's fine, but the Wazine water needs to be the only source of water for everyone. No need to worry about how much water they drink, none will drink too much.
wink.png
Keep in mind that Wazine only treats large roundworms.

-Kathy

I buy and use Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade and mix in 1 cup per 50 pounds of feed. Keeps chickens worm free and healthy. We use it in all of our animal and bird feed.

I've used Equimax to treat worms. The problem is, that it tastes so bad my girls won't eat the bread I wrap it in. Out of 14 birds, I only have 2 that I can handle readily so masking the Pasteur a treat is a necessity. I've been battling tapes for 8 months. I'm beginning to think ill never get a handle on it. Im hoping the cooler weather will help weed them out.

Earlier this year I contacted "Merial" one of the biggest manufactures of Ivermectin in the USA. They informed me that they have "no information on treating poultry with ivermectin". Where are others getting poultry dosage information?

Before I will use any medication, I need four questions answered:

1) who supplied the information
2) what was supplied
3) where was it supplied
4) when was is done

Last edited:
I've been using DE at a much higher dosage that you in my birds feed for over 30 days. I'm still seeing traces of blood in about 8% of my birds in their feces underneath their roost bars when I inspected in early morning before they climb down off their roosts. Because of this a week or so ago I starting checking under their roost bars twice a day, morning and evening. Yesterday I started treating them for coccidiosis with sulfadimethozine. It cost about 80 to 90 dollars per gallon, but it goes a long ways. I've had a container for many year always on hand.

Studies I have seen say it's not true. Peafowl people I know have lost and almost lost peas thinking it was true. IMO, it's just more misinformation.
sad.png
Same with Gale Darerow's new book. Heck, even a couple of my veterinary text books say it's effective in treating capillary worms.

-Kathy
Earlier this year I contacted "Merial" one of the biggest manufactures of Ivermectin in the USA. They informed me that they have "no information on treating poultry with ivermectin". Where are others getting poultry dosage information?

Before I will use any medication, I need four questions answered:

1) who supplied the information
2) what was supplied
3) where was it supplied
4) when was is done

Back
Top Bottom