Topic of the Week - Emergency/First Aid Preparedness

I just pop the 250mg pill into the beak. No weighing, no measuring, no cutting. If I had bantams or were I to treat a baby chick, I would be more precise. But a three to five pound adult chicken has responded well to my "casual" administrations.

There is a "range" that can be given, and I think it's 100-150 mg/kg, and I do believe that it's meant to be given at least twice a day. :idunno

250mg once a day has worked in my flock for years. Not insisting it's necessarily what's correct, though. Until it doesn't work, I'll keep doing it this way.

If it is amoxicillin, not penicillin we are talking about, then it is best to give it in 2 or even 3 doses to keep the blood levels the same. In humans it has to be 2-3 doses at 8-12 hours apart, but in animals they can get 2 doses 12 hours apart. If you only give it once a day, then you will have a good level of antibiotic circulating in the blood for 8-12 hours, and then nothing until the next day.

If it is amoxicillin, not penicillin we are talking about, then it is best to give it in 2 or even 3 doses to keep the blood levels the same. In humans it has to be 2-3 doses at 8-12 hours apart, but in animals they can get 2 doses 12 hours apart. If you only give it once a day, then you will have a good level of antibiotic circulating in the blood for 8-12 hours, and then nothing until the next day.
X2. And I think it applies to all oral "cillins".

Thank you. I know garlic and coconut oil (unrefined) and Non GMO, are great anti bacterial and antiviral, among others. Are those ok to give to chickens? I give my cat and dog garlic everyday for fleas.

Thank you. I know garlic and coconut oil (unrefined) and Non GMO, are great anti bacterial and antiviral, among others. Are those ok to give to chickens? I give my cat and dog garlic everyday for fleas.

You can give them garlic to them just not in large quantities.

Back
Top Bottom