Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

Pics
LOL, yea, I already re-did their brooder last night based on some posts I saw here.

I do have a question for anyone who can answer...

Metzer sent me the email saying my ducklings are in transit.

It said 'Waterfowl don't like mash'.

I am doing fermented feed (scratch and pecks) and they said Duckling love fermented feed...I am now a little confused as there is so much conflicting info out there and I just got my Storeys Book of Ducks today so I guess I will peruse the book and see what they say...

Is mash just adding water? Does that make ducks sick?

Should I just give them the fermented feed see if they eat it, if not give them dry?

Thank you all.
Personally I wouldn't bother with making mash unless you have one that isn't eating or something and you need to encourage consumption. . I would just use crumbles. They will make a mash out of it themselves anyway :lol:
I'm not on the fermented feed bandwagon. . I'm sure it's fine and has it's benefits if that's what you want to do. I just feel like dry food is easier to deal with.

Do you know if he has which one he used on his thread? It seems like I’ve asked him before but don’t remember the answer. :oops:

I don't remember either, but just ask again, he won't mind... :)

Personally I wouldn't bother with making mash unless you have one that isn't eating or something and you need to encourage consumption. . I would just use crumbles. They will make a mash out of it themselves anyway :lol:
I'm not on the fermented feed bandwagon. . I'm sure it's fine and has it's benefits if that's what you want to do. I just feel like dry food is easier to deal with.

X2!

In fact, most of mine will not touch any kind of wet feed... the only one I wet down food for is one I have inside dealing with an issue right now and she just can't handle dry food at this time...

Reason for warnings is that wet feed left out, not finished or cleaned up, can mold quickly and that leads to a whole nother set of issues... like Aspergillosis or brooder pneumonia...

LOL, yea that is what I am afraid of, 6 baby Rouens in the living room for 2 weeks making a mess.

I wanted to try fermented feed for the supposed benefits on cleanliness/smell and indoor keeping.

The brooder is currently set up in the living room due to construction delays in their backyard ponds, their home is not currently Duck safe. Two additional smaller ponds and overflow creeks are being excavated and I can't risk losing them.

I am kind of stuck with Ducks in my living room! So, at least for the next week or two they will be inside.

Thank you for the reply! I agree dry food is way easier. Everyone thinks I nuts and I probably am!:wee

I don't remember either, but just ask again, he won't mind... :)

X2!

In fact, most of mine will not touch any kind of wet feed... the only one I wet down food for is one I have inside dealing with an issue right now and she just can't handle dry food at this time...

Reason for warnings is that wet feed left out, not finished or cleaned up, can mold quickly and that leads to a whole nother set of issues... like Aspergillosis or brooder pneumonia...

Wow, thank you for responding. I will reconsider my options. Perhaps I will just see what they do, if they hesitate to long I'll just bring in the dry stuff. I'll taste the feed before I give it to them, I am committed to not killing them on day one. Any sour or off smell/taste will end the experiment.

I have dates and bottles started already set to be ready on wed morning...this is my second batch as they were delayed a while.

I actually tasted the fermented feed I threw out last week, it was a little fishy as they use that for some extra protein and omegas, but other than that is was kind of sweet and yeasty like soupy bread dough. :lau

Thanks again for all the advice.

Wow, thank you for responding. I will reconsider my options. Perhaps I will just see what they do, if they hesitate to long I'll just bring in the dry stuff. I'll taste the feed before I give it to them, I am committed to not killing them on day one. Any sour or off smell/taste will end the experiment.

I have dates and bottles started already set to be ready on wed morning...this is my second batch as they were delayed a while.

I actually tasted the fermented feed I threw out last week, it was a little fishy as they use that for some extra protein and omegas, but other than that is was kind of sweet and yeasty like soupy bread dough. :lau

Thanks again for all the advice.
You tasted the ducks food:eek::eek:
I admire your dedication!!:lau
I don't trust myself with fermenting feed. . I would probably do it wrong and poison them :gig
For me personally I don't see the advantage in possibly changing the nutrient content from the original formula.

For me personally I don't see the advantage in possibly changing the nutrient content from the original formula.

X2. Plus, I know someone here on BYC whose friend's entire flock was killed by fermented feed. She sent one of the dead ones in for necropsy and the report came back indicating that they died of an issue that was directly caused by the fermented feed. Maybe the feed wasn't fermented properly, but for me, it's not the worth the risk of something like that happening for the benefits people say they get from feeding it. Mine do fine on regular feed, so why try to fix what isn't broken?

X2. Plus, I know someone here on BYC whose friend's entire flock was killed by fermented feed. She sent one of the dead ones in for necropsy and the report came back indicating that they died of an issue that was directly caused by the fermented feed. Maybe the feed wasn't fermented properly, but for me, it's not the worth the risk of something like that happening for the benefits people say they get from feeding it. Mine do fine on regular feed, so why try to fix what isn't broken?

So sorry for your friends friends loss...

I do not want to start a long thread where everyone piles on, I merely had a question and further up someone already gave me advice and I am taking it into consideration.

Regards...

Back
Top Bottom