Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

Pics
Can ducks eat hen layer? That’s what I plan to feed my ducks when I get them come spring. Also any thoughts on ducks and chickens living together? I also have a rooster.
If you are planning on getting ducklings, don't feed them layer feed until they actually start laying. It doesn't have enough protein for growing ducks and too much calcium. If you do give chick feed make sure you add extra niacin. Many folks, including myself, prefer to use brewers yeast for that. There is a lot of info here on BYC regarding where to find it and the dosage. In an ideal world, growing ducklings require different amounts of protein as they age. I find it much easier to feed all my birds Flock Raiser with 20% protein for all stages of life. I don't give treats for the first few weeks so they get enough protein. So far this is working very well.

As for housing chickens and ducks together, for some people it works and for others it doesn't. I house my chickens and ducks together in the barn. They free range all day. I haven't had any serious problems. There have been the occasional peeking or chasing but it's never serious and seems to be normal hierarchy stuff. There is plenty of room for those getting pecked to get away and out of sight/reach.

I might not have a large flock but I do have three ducks. My drake is a buff and my two hens are Cayuga and Black Swedish. They love it when we add dry rice to their food. As for treats, we hang lettuce leaves from the sides of the coop so they can peck at it. I don't know why but they love the leaves from our backyard trees.

Can ducks eat hen layer? That’s what I plan to feed my ducks when I get them come spring. Also any thoughts on ducks and chickens living together? I also have a rooster.
The experts don't recommend it, but I feed mine layer. :oops:

I house my ducks with my chickens. No issues except it's hard to keep the chickens hydrated in winter because the ducks get possessive of the water bowl. I suggest giving another water source up where the ducks can't reach.

The experts don't recommend it, but I feed mine layer. :oops:

I house my ducks with my chickens. No issues except it's hard to keep the chickens hydrated in winter because the ducks get possessive of the water bowl. I suggest giving another water source up where the ducks can't reach.
:old....:lau...I don't recommend it either...:frow

So I'm curious, why do so many people like to feed peas to their ducks? Is there something special about peas, or is it that your ducks like them?

I decided to keep feeding layer to my birds because it's $6 cheaper... at a bag or more a week, that adds up fast. I have yet to see any solid evidence in my or my neighbour's birds that is indicative of damage from the calcium, even in birds that are over 8 years old. I think the management style makes a difference; a free ranging bird would eat less and get less calcium... that's my guess. I do feed ducklings flock starter with appropriate niacin levels, but they are switched to layer once they are adults.

Just my take on it; I know many won't agree.

I decided to keep feeding layer to my birds because it's $6 cheaper... at a bag or more a week, that adds up.. I have yet to see any solid evidence in my or my neighbour's birds that is indicative of damage from the calcium, even in birds that are over 8 years old. I think the management style makes a difference; a free ranging bird would eat less and get less calcium... that's my guess.

Just my take on it; I know many won't agree.
If it works for you...Don't change it.

Back
Top Bottom