Topic of the Week - Feeding mealworms, bugs etc.

Pics
We had a large chicken run beside our barn, when I was a kid. Right beside the run was an old rusted out vehicle with bushes and small trees growing all around and through the floorboards and wind shield opening(windshield was long gone). It was like an old milk van. Anyway, A man came to remove it and this was a big event for us kids, I don't know why. He hooked it up and began to move it. It hadn't moved far when mice began to scamper out, A lot of mice. Being kids, we instantly started chasing them. I don't know what we would have done if we had caught one, get a rabies shot I guess. Trying to get to safety, they all headed for the barn, but to get there they had to cross the chicken run. We were all shocked at how quickly those hens dispatched and consumed the mice.:eek: It was like feeding time at jurassic park. They were fighting over them and ripping them to pieces. Some were swallowed whole. We (the kids) thought it was the coolest thing we had ever seen. Our mom, however, was horrified and would not eat eggs that weren't from the grocery store after that. That was the day I became fascinated with chickens. These are not just birds... They are my own little private flock of feathered DINOSAURS.
:celebrate

HA this is so funny! I am a new chick mom and ever since they started to grow their feathers in, I have been calling them dinosaurs! I tell my husband they have to be the missing link! I def see the relation!! Funny story though!

If the girls are able to be taken on walks (our free ranging is supervised because of predators) we don't give them treats - feed only.

Once the snow locked them into the run and the cold weather really set in we started giving them treats twice a day. Not much, probably 1/2 C for five birds, twice daily. One was meant to be high fat/high protein (to aid in combating the cold) and the other for antioxidants/vitamins. And both are to entertain them in the dull winters, of course!

High Fat/Protein Treats:
- Grubblies (no mealworms for the reasons folks have already stated)
- Seed Cake (oilseed, millet, pepitas, chopped peanuts, peanut butter, coconut oil)

Vitamins/Mineral Treats (usually a mixed "salad" of various items):
- Spinach (limited quantities)
- Kale
- Red Cabbage
- Cranberries (we couldn't believe how much they love fresh cranberries!)

I like the 1 hour free range idea, how do you train them to return to the coop?
We have always worked with them in their chicken house & yard. We get them accustomed our being in their space then give them treats. I like to put the treats in a plain white paper towel & make a conspicuous show of pulling it out of my pocket, all the while calling to them. The ones who are oblivious or standoffish usually can't resist when someone else is getting something to eat, so they rush over. After they've all caught on, we let them into the yard, supervised always. They get to know the boundaries & everyone stays together, as that's the rule. When it's time to go home, we always say the same thing "c'mon girls...home, home, home. Home, home, home." We spread out our arms and guide them toward the door. If we need to convince them to listen, we get that paper towel out & rustle the treats while calling them. They will race one another to get to the treats first! (But I NEVER trick them. If they see the paper towel, it's got treats in it.) They soon learn that "home, home, home" means foraging is over for the day & they're able to be wrangled just with us talking & walking behind them. Every now & again, even the most well trained chicken surprises me & while I am bending down pointing out a lovely cricket, someone will see a hint of paper towel & pick my pocket. Or just stick her head in to see if she's missing out on something. That's how we train ours, anyway. It's worked for us, so hopefully it will help you, too.

We free range in a smaller run so the area is pretty cleaned out from most bugs and insects. Scratch grains and table scraps are given every other day to give them a treat. Though once a month ill put out a small swimming pool and go to the Brook with a minnow trap. I'll come back with a couple dozen minnow that I'll put in the pool for a day. They go crazy trying to catch the fish and it's a high protein snack for all of them. Funny how when they see the pool get laid out they get all sorts of noisy and vocal. They love fish...

Our girls are free range sunrise to sunset on 2.5 acres with fields on three sides. I have bird feeders and the girls eat anything that the yard birds spill onto the ground. I will occasionally toss them some dried mealworms as well as seedless grapes (their favorite!) and kitchen scraps. I love knowing they are keeping the bug population low, especially ticks, but hate that this includes praying mantises. We don't have nearly as many now that we have chickens.
I try to give chicken scraps to the cats, but this is hard to do when the hens are around. They will chase off the cats for the meat. I was horrified the first time I saw this!

My flock goes absolutely nuts when they find anything meaty! One time, one of them found a dead mouse that some other predator had mostly already eaten and I've never seen them that excited since. It was like they had hit the lottery!

It made me think that they need more meat because I normally only give them their feed and usually a daily treat tray with vegetables, fruit, a little scratch and meal worms.

I've given them raw hamburger once and they loved it. I've also from time to time given them thoroughly rinsed tuna (due to sodium content) and they go nuts for that too. I have also given them scrambled egg once in a while but never chicken meat...only because I have a mental thing about feeding chicken to chickens.

A couple months ago I started raising my own meal worms because it's an inexpensive way to provide them with fresh, live protein. I don't keep the meal worms in the house but in a separate heated side building. I'm not worried about them escaping because I keep the containers covered.

I guess my point is, it seems that chickens crave meat...as though they can't get enough of it so I figured raising live meal worms was a good way to provide them fresh meaty snacks vs. giving them store bought meat. It's hard to tell when they are out foraging how many bugs and worms they are actually able to find/catch so meal worms just seems an easy, inexpensive way I can provide them a fairly steady supply of live meaty bugs.

Back
Top Bottom