Topic of the Week - Feeding Treats

Pics
Just an update to a post I made on this thread 5 days ago at which time my chicks weren't overly interested in the various things I was offering them but I kept at it and 3 days ago, I made up a mixture of the following:

Oatmeal, cracked corn, broccoli, meal worms, chopped up lettuce, chick kibble and mixed in grit. I put it in the pen and they suddenly went nuts for it! The first thing they went for was the broccoli and then the meal worms. Finally! Something they like!

The next time I went to put the same mixture in their pen, they jumped on the plate before I could even get it onto the ground. Now when I go to visit them they run over to the door to see if I'm bringing them something.

Since they love the broccoli so much I'll start trying more veggies on them.

Patinas: Sounds like a wonderful mix. Mine are bigger now but fly up to my "Serving Tray" of a plastic garbage lid that I use so "everyone" gets a chance to eat whatever I've brought -when its cold and something that is spreadable i.e. oatmeal with veggie bits and pieces). Whose the one being trained eh?
wee.gif
(That's Canadian, for "right"!) Happy April Fool's Day everyone.........

Just an update to a post I made on this thread 5 days ago at which time my chicks weren't overly interested in the various things I was offering them but I kept at it and 3 days ago, I made up a mixture of the following:

Oatmeal, cracked corn, broccoli, meal worms, chopped up lettuce, chick kibble and mixed in grit. I put it in the pen and they suddenly went nuts for it! The first thing they went for was the broccoli and then the meal worms. Finally! Something they like!

The next time I went to put the same mixture in their pen, they jumped on the plate before I could even get it onto the ground. Now when I go to visit them they run over to the door to see if I'm bringing them something.

Since they love the broccoli so much I'll start trying more veggies on them.

Sounds like a yummy chick-chick meal! It's always good news when the babies appreciate a good meal and come back looking for more. It's funny how they will at first turn down some things only to later develop a keen interest and taste for them.
yesss.gif

Thank you for the great "topic of the week!" I am also a newbie organic
chickie mama. I just incubated and hatched my first eggs last week. It's so exciting!! I started giving them some grass clippings around day 3 and they love it. I am loving all of the suggestions. Mine will certainly be getting table scraps, ACV in their water occasionally, and I plan to start them their own little herb garden.

Last edited:
Ive been reading about adding water to your crumble and letting it sit for a day or so to forment.?? I like the idea. It says that there is less waste. And it is easier to digest... That make sense to me.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried that and has knows how it works over the long term. My girls seem to eat it.. the baby chicks arn't so sure. I read that in winter they don't like it cold.. but that could be a treat warmed... anyone doing this????

My year old hens like mealy worms the most. I mix them with dried oatmeal. and oats to stretch the use of them. I give them to them once a day. They also love cherry tomatoes, pasta & rice . There spoiled. I also give them table scraps. But the mealy worms are there favorite.
Linda from Clinton

- At what age can you start offering chicks treats and how do you go about it?
The first week I give mine certain treats such as grass and small bugs.
- What treats do you give your flock?
Lets see......Watermelon rinds, tomatoes, Cantaloupe rinds, Pumpkin seeds, strawberry tops, grapes, blueberries, scratch (rarely), Pasta, lettuce, grass clippings, herbs (oregano, lemon grass, chives, basil, lavender, tarragon {a favorite of theirs}, ect.), bugs, eggs/eggshells, bread (rarely), oatmeal (rarely), left over meat scraps, an a lot more :)!
- How much, and how often do you feed treats?
I feed them scraps almost daily
- What treats should NOT be given to chickens, or given in moderation?
Citrus should not be given to your birds, most treats need to be given moderation especially dairy products and higher in carbs products.
- What are your flock's favourite treats?
Fruit and eggs

As with most here, I started mine out with a clump of grass and dirt in the beginning weeks then graduated them to other goodies like: watermelon, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, apples, tomato, banana, squash, yogurt, cauliflower, strawberry tops, cabbage, plain cornflakes, grapenuts cereal soaked in water then mixed with yogurt, grapes, and I'm sure more that I can't think of.

Their favorites are: watermelon, the grapenuts and yogurt, & squash

Least favorites: eggs and they aren't crazy for veggies other than the squash

I'm a new chicken mom so I'm still learning what they like, hence the wide variety but I look up if they can have it before giving it to them. They are only 2 months old so I noticed they like the softer stuff more but I do dice up their goodies very small.

They get goodies once, sometimes twice a day....too much? Only about a paper plates full..

I started giving my chicks treats a week after they hatched. They enjoyed scrambled eggs the most, but you have to make sure they have grit. I stil feed my chickens treats but try not to so it too often and I always make sure they have oyster shells available for calcium. You should never give your chickens, or any other pets for that matter, any avocado. Today, my chickens favorite treat is strawberries. I will chop them off and freeze them in ice and they love it!

Back
Top Bottom