Topic of the Week - Frostbite, prevention and treatment - Graphic images in thread

*Warning for those with weak stomachs---graphic images ahead*

heating just doesn't work for my situation. If you have valuable showbirds then the insane electricity bill might be worth it but for a regular backyarder it just plain isn't.

hmmm... seems to me that a coops could be designed with small heated areas to bring the temp to a cold but less perilous number...

hmmm... seems to me that a coops could be designed with small heated areas to bring the temp to a cold but less perilous number...
Running electricity out there costs more than I have in my wallet and I refuse to run extension cords after I nearly burned my coop down three years ago. If the slash in the insulation had been three inches lower I would have had no coop and no flock.

The temperatures aren't perilous most years. I've owned somewhere near 200 birds and those are the only bad cases, all of which were due to some other error. Not counting frozen cockerel combs in that.

That's my stance on it, anyway. Those more in the neighbourhood of fort chippy or NU would probably have different needs due to really crazy temperatures.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that mental image made me bust out laughing. :lol:
Where/why would you apply bag balm on a duck anyway?

Well, if it wasn't so traumatic to them to be held, I would have put it on their feet. I don't want to cause them undue stress, so won't be doing it.

lol - should have said I was going to put it on the ducks wattles..... hee heee
jk

Well, if it wasn't so traumatic to them to be held, I would have put it on their feet. I don't want to cause them undue stress, so won't be doing it.

lol - should have said I was going to put it on the ducks wattles..... hee heee
jk
Don't put it on their feet, lol. All that will do is muck up their feathers when they try to tuck their legs in and if anything make it worse. I hope you aren't putting bag balm on your chickens' feet??

Muscovies can get frostbite on the caruncles but Pekins don't have those so no issues.

@GldnValleyHens here's two heavy & one bantam ducks in the snow. Ignore the weird posture on the Swedish. She's a goof.
P1290023.JPG

Running electricity out there costs more than I have in my wallet and I refuse to run extension cords after I nearly burned my coop down three years ago. If the slash in the insulation had been three inches lower I would have had no coop and no flock.

Yeah it can be expensive... i have a coop that's 200 ft from my house... to get power that far you need 6 gauge wire at 220 volts which means a breaker box at coop end... so that's $400 USD in materials... not nearly as cold in MI but for me the piece of mind and convenience of not dealing with freezing water every day made it worth it in my situation. I wonder... just a thought... has anyone tried a root cellar approach.. so basically digging a 3 ft deep hole in the coops with a ramp.. the temp starts to warm up even a few inches underground... so a 4 ft tall coop burried 3 ft might work for cold climates...

Yeah it can be expensive... i have a coop that's 200 ft from my house... to get power that far you need 6 gauge wire at 220 volts which means a breaker box at coop end... so that's $400 USD in materials... not nearly as cold in MI but for me the piece of mind and convenience of not dealing with freezing water every day made it worth it in my situation. I wonder... just a thought... has anyone tried a root cellar approach.. so basically digging a 3 ft deep hole in the coops with a ramp.. the temp starts to warm up even a few inches underground... so a 4 ft tall coop burried 3 ft might work for cold climates...
I have seen one person that has done it, unsure of their climate. My concern was lack of sunshine leading to parasite overload, poor health, and dampness.

I have seen one person that has done it, unsure of their climate. My concern was lack of sunshine leading to parasite overload, poor health, and dampness.
yeah that is an issue but maybe with a ft or two above ground with vents and light? since the ground has an unlimited supply of heat it might work.... i might experiment with it... would ahve to be easy tio get into etc so would need some space

Back
Top Bottom