Topic of the Week - How long do chickens live?

View attachment 2975589

Many of us have or had the odd chicken that seems to have been around forever, year after year, laying the odd egg still, if a hen, slowly fading as time goes by… If not killed by predators, disease, mishaps, culling, or processed for the table, chickens can live a fairly long life. I'm curious to hear what age your oldest flock members reached and...

- What is the average lifespan of a chicken?
- When is a bird too old to live a quality life?
- What can you do to make sure your oldest flock members are happy and comfortable?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
My chicken is five now and she is still laying 5-7 days a week she is now our only chicken because ethe other ones had died to a ferret attack but my chicken is still very lively and going strong!!

View attachment 2975589

Many of us have or had the odd chicken that seems to have been around forever, year after year, laying the odd egg still, if a hen, slowly fading as time goes by… If not killed by predators, disease, mishaps, culling, or processed for the table, chickens can live a fairly long life. I'm curious to hear what age your oldest flock members reached and...

- What is the average lifespan of a chicken?
- When is a bird too old to live a quality life?
- What can you do to make sure your oldest flock members are happy and comfortable?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
My hen lived 11 years and was still laying a egg , Till my goose killed her,

The last member of my previous flock, a beautiful white rooster called Isaac Newton (yes, I know, LOL), died at 7. We never knew how it happened. He never showed any sign of illness, but then one morning, we found him dead outside of the run (????) with no signs of violence or anything.

His hens had died at 5 (Marek's disease), 6 (undiagnosed respiratory disease), and 7 years old (violent death, we never knew what attacked her).

I'm having very bad luck with my current flock: one of the roosters died at 2; one of my Golden Comets almost died a few months later, survived, and is a special needs hen now; and the other Golden Comet recently suffered from prolapse + lash egg + salpingitis... If I didn't have access to vet care, these two would've died, too.

The problem is that they're super layers with terrible genetics... Breeds DO matter when we discuss lifespan.

Vaccines are also super important.

The last member of my previous flock, a beautiful white rooster called Isaac Newton (yes, I know, LOL), died at 7. We never knew how it happened. He never showed any sign of illness, but then one morning, we found him dead outside of the run (????) with no signs of violence or anything.

His hens had died at 5 (Marek's disease), 6 (undiagnosed respiratory disease), and 7 years old (violent death, we never knew what attacked her).

I'm having very bad luck with my current flock: one of the roosters died at 2; one of my Golden Comets almost died a few months later, survived, and is a special needs hen now; and the other Golden Comet recently suffered from prolapse + lash egg + salpingitis... If I didn't have access to vet care, these two would've died, too.

The problem is that they're super layers with terrible genetics... Breeds DO matter when we discuss lifespan.

Vaccines are also super important.
I have mutts and hope that helps towards a healthy lifespan.

My girls live out their elder days as comfortable as I can provide for them. They have their own building, where they have lower roosts and nesting near the floor for those who can’t reach those high areas anymore. They receive extra attention and care. And, my old roosters receive equal treatment as well. After all, the older birds have been with me the longest, so I’m especially attached to them. They’ve laid countless eggs, brooded many chicks, protected the flocks, and have been great company over the years. On average, my flock members live(d) between 9-12+ years. I lost a few to predators (at younger ages) when I free ranged them, and I’ve walked into the buildings a few times to find one had passed without warning. Over decades, I’ve had so many. And, the funny thing is, that I remember every single one. ❤️

my oldest hens are 1 and a half so yeah

I know this is for chickens but I figured i would mention the other birds as they are older than the chickens

I do have some pretty old guineas since they are the first birds we ever had I think the oldest of them is 9

plus ducks which are the second thing we got our oldest is a 5-year-old meat duck who is definitely starting to show her age

Back
Top Bottom