Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer

For those who have never had birds, it is very normal for them to sit with slightly spread wings and pant a little, in heat. Your budgie, parrot will do the same, it is best to focus on their habitat being shaded and well provisioned with water bowls. Other measures may not work so great when power goes out, you have to go to work or attend to family matters or emergencies elsewhere.

My personal opinion is that a wet towel is better than ice cubes - I am from very hot climates in the southern hemisphere and I never give cold ice water to people or animals, especially when they are in heat distress. Hikers "sip" ambient temperature water because it takes less energy. However it depends entirely on your set up -what works for a flock of 6 is not the same for a flock of 100.

I make sure that they have at least two waterers in the yard, sometimes three. I feed them cold treats (mostly fruit).

Also, my chickens rarely eat on a hot day. So I give them a bowlful of wet chicken feed, they gobble it up like there's no tomorrow! :lol:

Make sure that there is LOTS AND LOTS of shade! Chickens appreciate shade more than we realize!

And on occasions when it is so hot that water doesn't stay cold long, I put ice in the water.

And a nice, cool, spot of dirt to dust bathe in will do the chickens lots of good! :)

Summer time is a wonderful time, but with the sunshine and long days comes a potential hazard for our flocks: extreme heat. Chickens naturally wear a warm coat of feathers and can overheat easily, therefor it's essential that we provide means for them to cool down, if needed, and regulate their body temperatures. What do you all do to help your flocks beat the heat?

I noticed that my girls prefer cold water - the waterer happened to be in the sun and they all came running when the hose turned on. I try to keep my waterer in the shade so they have access to plenty of cool water and that the coop is nice and shady. They have a little "spot" that they like to sit down in and enjoy the fresh air and we have plenty of hedges. When it gets REALLY hot, I turn on the sprinklers for a couple of minutes to mist them. It startles them at first but it cools the dirt under their feet which can get really hot on some days. I haven't done this yet but I'm thinking about getting some treats and freezing them in ice cubes for really hot days!

Cool fresh water I use the chicken fountain and add ice. We have a sand run that is mostly shady, I run the hose and sprinklers and my girls dig down into the cool sand. Frozen blueberries and large frozen bowls with meal worms, they have to peck the ice to get the worms. We just had over 100 degree days for 8 days. Brutal......

For those who have never had birds, it is very normal for them to sit with slightly spread wings and pant a little, in heat. Your budgie, parrot will do the same, it is best to focus on their habitat being shaded and well provisioned with water bowls. Other measures may not work so great when power goes out, you have to go to work or attend to family matters or emergencies elsewhere.

My personal opinion is that a wet towel is better than ice cubes - I am from very hot climates in the southern hemisphere and I never give cold ice water to people or animals, especially when they are in heat distress. Hikers "sip" ambient temperature water because it takes less energy. However it depends entirely on your set up -what works for a flock of 6 is not the same for a flock of 100.
Is it humid there?
Agrees on the ice water....but slowly melting ice cubes is another matter.

Cool fresh water I use the chicken fountain and add ice. We have a sand run that is mostly shady, I run the hose and sprinklers and my girls dig down into the cool sand. Frozen blueberries and large frozen bowls with meal worms, they have to peck the ice to get the worms. We just had over 100 degree days for 8 days. Brutal......
Glad to hear I'm doing the right thing. Their mouths are open and they look like they are panting. Only a couple more hours and it should cool down

I use one of the following as a feed bowl (found at Tractor Supply) and will probably get another for cooling water.

View attachment 1054221
No don't use for water, hens stand on edge and it tips over as water gets lower.
I use this, 20170614_164730.jpg a one gallon galvanized pan. It's wider and more stable. I got it at TSC.
My 500 square foot pen has a shade tree in the middle. The coop is in the shade from mid morning on. I also run a fan in coop, 20170619_090443.jpg if it gonna be a warm night, blowing air under the roosts. GC

Last edited:
No don't use for water, hens stand on edge and it tips over as water gets lower.
I use this,View attachment 1054653 a one gallon galvanized pan. It's wider and more stable. I got it at TSC.
My 500 square foot pen has a shade tree in the middle. The coop is in the shade from mid morning on. I also run a fan in coop,View attachment 1054680 if it gonna be a warm night, blowing air under the roosts. GC

I screw all my chickens bowls to a wall or post, so no spills.

Back
Top Bottom