Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer

Pics
I buy cheap cans of corn and put in ice trays and freeze. Then throw a few in their coop. They love them and it cools them down!!
20170422_105337.jpg

I never let the fan run overnight, it gets shut off when I lock up after dark.
More of a fire fear than the chickens being in a draft if/when the temps cool overnight,
tho that is a legitimate concern too.

I wonder about freezing bottles...or rather refreezing bottles after they've been in the chicken yard and are not necessarily 'clean' and often filthy....not sure I want that in my freezer and don't really want to clean/sanitize them either.
So you bottle freezers, what do you do?
I only use them once - fill with water, freeze and use for the chickens and then toss them into the recycling. We have enough fresh bottles from juice and Kefir, etc... that I never need to reuse a bottle that has been used for the chickens.

I am really fortunate to have a grapevine that my chicks can be under in the summertime. I also read that you can get an old ice tray and fill it with canned corn and freeze it and give it to your chickens when it get too hot. I have also given the girls a bit of frozen broccoli when it gets really hot. Also a bit of cold watermelon does the trick

Attachments

• IMG_9774.JPG
    IMG_9774.JPG
    788.3 KB · Views: 14
Built my pen/coop down in a little clearing surrounded by trees so there is a fair amount of shade during the mornings and late afternoon/evenings. Since the temps have reached the triple digits I have put a military surplus cammo net over a portion of the pen in front of the coop. Still lets some sunlight through but does offer shade as well when the sun is at it's peak.

Put a little misting sprinkler out today and off they all ran! Run away! Run away!:lau

I think they will get used to it...I will turn it on in hottest part of the day...they were holding wings out...first time I have seen that...and open beaks a little. Lots of fresh water for them and at least the sprinkler cooled the air off a bit! They have tons of shade as well...

What next? Moulting in protest?:plbb

And yes, unusually for Montana, it has veered into the low 90s for much of July...not everyday do we break 90, but it is happening quite a bit and also very very dry. Not much rain. Delicious 50s overnight. Being from the south I never thought I would live in a house without air conditioning, but the house itself is set up for it (skylights, certain window arrangements, walkout basement that stays cool, etc). Some nights I sleep out on the deck...

Last edited:
I give them watermelon, shade, fans, fresh clean water. When it gets really hot we will dip their feet in cold water. We also have frozen water bottles so they can lay with. Anything to keep them cool :D

Back
Top Bottom