Topic of the Week - Keeping Chickens Cool in Summer

Pics

Summertime is a wonderful time, but with the sunshine and long days comes a potential hazard for our flocks: extreme heat. Chickens naturally wear a warm coat of feathers and can overheat easily, therefore it's essential that we provide means for them to cool down, if needed, and regulate their body temperatures. What do you all do to help your flocks beat the heat?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

I love providing several shallow feed bowls with cool water for them to play in as well as water things down real good off in a shady corner. I also make sure they have lots of fresh dry peet to dust bath in, off in another corner…

I’m able to give them more room/run space too; they get to free run of their normal enclosure, plus our extra bay in our “lean-to” (a 3-sided walled-in wooden structure that isnt housing any tractors at the moment), it provides an excellent “breezeway” to capitalize on any wind that’s available, because our Temps are over 100°F!

However, at night. I feel horrible for my little Silkies, even tho they have a battery operated fan that will last the night for them, you can even see the air flow thru their Pom-Pim feathers…But, it’s still 90°F in the coop as they go to roost.

Take a look at this video :
Silkies Bedtime June 16 2022

Last edited:
I have a broody Cochin. It’s been in the upper 80’s and humid in Michigan this week. I’ve been rotating an ice pack morning & night. In place it under the hay she’s on. Also helps break the broodiness by bringing her belly temp down.

My chickens' run is of a light dry sandy dirt (more of a dust) and the few inches of straw I've added. Would it be a good idea to wet it down on hotter days (typically it's very dry and temps max out at around 95F - 100F). I'll have to take water over via a bucket so they won't get as much as if they had a hose.
I’d be careful with wetting straw, it can mold quickly.

Summertime is a wonderful time, but with the sunshine and long days comes a potential hazard for our flocks: extreme heat. Chickens naturally wear a warm coat of feathers and can overheat easily, therefore it's essential that we provide means for them to cool down, if needed, and regulate their body temperatures. What do you all do to help your flocks beat the heat?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
I can't wait to give them fruit!

We have a small sprinkler on the outside of their pen. Part comes into the edge of the pen and a dish washing pan we have there. They go and stand in the water when they get to hot and they like to drink out of the colder water in the pan.

My chickens' run is of a light dry sandy dirt (more of a dust) and the few inches of straw I've added. Would it be a good idea to wet it down on hotter days (typically it's very dry and temps max out at around 95F - 100F). I'll have to take water over via a bucket so they won't get as much as if they had a hose.
Be careful wetting any hay. It can start to mold quick and it will get hot and catch on fire. We deal with this all the time in our horse hay piles.

What do you use for shallow water dishes that the chickens can stand in? My run will be 8x10 and the small kiddie pools I've found would take up a lot of space. Summer can be really hot in MO and my coop in a yard with little shade though it and the run will have a roof topped with white metal roofing.
We use kitty litter pans and dish washing pans. Sometimes they will stand in them when we haven't turned on their sprinkler yet.

Back
Top Bottom