Topic of the Week - Keeping the flock safe from mishaps, injuries, etc.

Many long term poultry keepers can share stories of their birds getting themselves in trouble, or injured or killed by mishaps which could've been easily prevented. Things like upturned buckets and bowls trapping birds, chicks accidentally drowning in water dishes, birds ingesting staples, small nails, etc left in the run or coop after repairs or improvements were made… This week I'd like to hear you all's thoughts on keeping the flock safe. For new chicken owners and old, what safety tips have you got share?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
I found one of my little bantam hens, and the others follow her lead, at the plastic covering for the winter. She got into a piece of styrofoam covered in plastic too. I caught her. Fortunately, spring has come to the new england. I've removed what's within her reach. I'll save grain bags to cover styrofoam for next season.

Thank you for asking. Had a traumatic afternoon the other day when I found my barred rock Thelma dead, and a pile of RIR feathers from another hen who survived the attack, behind the chain link gate to their secure run. I had left it partly open for them to enjoy their larger run, which is only chicken wire to keep them away from the rhododendrons.

Wasn't sure what had happened until I let them out the next time. We all heard a red tail hawk shriek and they went into a major panic. Now they have much less freedom and I am constantly scanning the sky as long as that bird is hanging around.

I wonder though if my hen had not been trapped behind that gate (it opens against a wall) she might have been able to escape. Now I make sure to open the gate completely with no space behind it. Also am going to string fishing line and glittery ribbons above their big run to discourage the hawks maybe.
Im sorry you went through that. I let my girl free range supervised, but sometimes i run inside quick and am always so nervous. I hear the hawks but havnt had any issues with them and hope not to. 🐓❤️

Many long-term poultry keepers can share stories of their birds getting themselves in trouble, or injured or killed by mishaps that could've been easily prevented. Things like upturned buckets and bowls trapping birds, chicks accidentally drowning in water dishes, birds ingesting staples, small nails, etc left in the run or coop after repairs or improvements were made…

This week I'd like to hear your thoughts on keeping the flock safe. For new chicken owners and old, what safety tips have you got to share?

View attachment 2832202

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
I cover my free range area with the flimsy bird netting for fruit cages,one girl decided to try and escape on her first night with me,found her six feet in the air hung by her beak just hanging there! Thankfully she was OK and hasn't tried to escape again!

I've got something to add to this thread that I can't believe I didn't think of sooner. Last month I started losing hens to racoon predation and I couldn't for the life of me figure out where they were getting in. Finally I got the idea to buy a cheap baby monitor and set it up in the coop. That night I heard the commotion start at 10:30, ran out and caught the racoon in the act before it could kill any birds. When the other racoon ran off I saw the gap they had opened up in the coop wall to squeeze through so I could fix it.
All it took was a $20 baby monitor from walmart and now I sleep much more soundly knowing that I won't wake up to a massacre. It also has had the nice benefit of letting me know when they have gone in and gotten on the roost in the evening or when they are still using the nesting box and I should wait before going to collect eggs in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom