Topic of the Week - Let's talk about euthanasia

- When should it be done?
When they are no longer able to enjoy life in a humane or comfortable way. Are ill to the point that it can cause damage to the rest of the flock or won't recover. And also if it's aggressive and causing problems with stressing out the rest of your chickens. And obviously for any food reasons if they are raised for consumption. So definetly agree with most everyone.
- What is the most humane and the quickest method, especially for people who have never done it before and for a much loved flock member?
For a much loved flock member and those who don't want to do it themselves I'd say take them to a vet for sure. Expensive but you won't feel it was done in a gruesome way. I raised quail and one of my dogs got ahold of one who already had like 3 other problems. Feather everywhere, I had the guy who was renting a room in our house snip his head off with some kitchen shears. I felt bad but I didn't want to try and do it myself or let him suffer more :/
So I mean if you know how to do it yourself your saving about 25-40 bucks but I wouldn't want my own chickens to be culled at my own hand. I'd have a hard time with it!
- How do you handle the situation when you have children and other family involved with the flock?
Well I don't have children but if I did id probably try and explain it in different ways depending on the age. my mom and my boyfriend would probably be upset if we had to put any of the chickens down but my stepdad would probably not blink an eye or care much. I'd definitely cry, a lot. They're like pets to me, not livestock like I felt about my lambs.

The first question doesn't need to be answered more. Plenty of great answers already. Though I would like to note that I, personally, include "Deadly communicable diseases" such as Mareks, AI or Newcastle on my "reasons to put a bird down". The bird's gonna die in a few months to a year anyhow, you're not doing it any favors, and you ARE making it more likely for other local birds to get sick and die.

The second one of how...
I see a lot of people advocating for CO2 here. Neither CO1 nor CO2 is an AMVA approved method for euthanizing an animal over 2lbs. The reason for no co2 is because co2 poisoning is EXTREMELY painful and the animal suffers. The reason it's safe for animals under a certain weight is because they pass out BEFORE they start to die and they die very quickly. This is NOT always the case with CO2 on larger animals (even ones as small as bantam hens) and can result in a panicking or desperate animal that suffers before being rendered unconscious. Similarly, suffocation, drowning or other forms of oxygen deprivation (co1) are equally inhumane and painful, creating a distressed state. Not to mention these methods can take a long time to actually completely kill the bird, if they ever do in general.

We also have to note that a sick, suffering chicken is unlikely to SHOW that it's suffering. They're very much still survival-based animals and are biologically designed not to show pain or suffering lest their flock mates attack them. Just because your chicken looks peaceful doesn't mean they're not actually feeling horrible pain and illness and trying desperately not to express that by lying down and holding as still as possible. That chicken is likely still suffering. In fact, by the time we humans notice a disruption in behavior, there's a very real chance that the chicken is suffering severely. Imagine how bad it must be for a chicken to refuse to move if being in chronic pain causes no change in behavior most of the time? Remember, just because it makes YOU feel better doesn't mean it makes the BIRD feel better.

So some more humane methods? There are a few.

1. Take your bird to a vet. This is super humane. Transport your bird in a dark carrier to the vets office and it will be a non-stressful experience for the bird.
  2. If it's legal, a small gun will instantly hill the bird if it hits the brain, or will kill quickly if through the chest region.
  3. Any form of cervical dislocation. This refers to the breaking of the spinal column, specifically right by the head and neck. Probably the cleanest, calmest, nicest option for this is broomsticking. This is a quiet, at-home procedure with no blood if done carefully that takes only seconds and lends itself well to gentle handling of a beloved pet. Some other options would include the cartoon-style classic of removing the head with a hatchet. I get nervous about missing and so I use a pair of heavy kitchen shears. You could also use certain garden shears or branch cutters. The ideal way to do this is in a "chicken cone" where they are both restrained and upside-down, making them somewhat dizzy and less lucid.
  4. You could take the traditional route for processing meat birds and hang them and slit the throat. This is actually much faster than most "co2" methods, which can take several minutes to a half hour. This is messy, but the bird thrashes less and dies quickly. There's a very real reason this is employed in chicken processing, and it's not because people who process chickens are crazy, brutal nutjobs. It's quiet and fast, and if you can do it it's worth seriously considering.
  5. If none of these methods appeal to you, you can always ask someone ELSE to do the deed. If you're too upset about your chicken to do something humane to end their suffering, just ASK for HELP. This is no worse then going to the vets office, and it's usually free or a small fee. Someone with some experience can either walk you through the process or they can probably do it for you.

As for when to tell kids? It's my personal opinion that people should treat it as an every day thing of life, take it seriously and give thanks, but not freak out about it. At any age. But that's just me.

Last edited:
We had some friends from Ecuador show us how to "pop the neck"–it was a quick and clean cervical dislocation and we've used that method ever since.

About kids: 6 years ago, when we were harvesting meat birds, we had our five children come to the yard. They could help, watch, or occupy themselves some other way. That way, they could participate as much or as little as they liked. One of our little boys was nudging a bird in its death throes, and we quickly explained to him that the bird was giving its life to us so that we could eat meat, and that we must treat it with respect for its sacrifice.

Fast forward to today: after not having chickens for five years, we have an egg-laying flock that unfortunately came with two roosters. When it was time to butcher, my husband called the kids out for a talk about life and death. He popped the rooster's neck, and while it was dying, we watched its spirit (soul, life force, etc.) leave its body until it was still and just the mortal shell was left. We expressed our respect for the bird and reiterated that God put animals on this earth for us to take care of and in turn, they would provide (meat, eggs) for our sustenance.

Kids are interesting: my 12-year-old son didn't want anything to do with it and left before the second bird was killed and the subsequent butchering. My 10-year-old daughter wanted to scald, pluck, disembowel, and quarter the bird with me (but not so much the clean-up).

It's good for people to witness death in a safe, controlled environment. Not fun, not easy, not enjoyable, but still a good, essential thing. You can never go wrong with honesty and respect.

I never had much luck with a hatchet. I am not good with it and the chickens always ducked when they saw it coming. This led to some badly botched kills. When I have to kill chickens for whatever reason I found that for me the quickest and most humane way was to tie the chicken's feet together with some twine. I then hang them upside down from a hook. Then I use a knife to slit their throats. Make sure the knife is razor sharp and they seem to barely feel it. They will bleed out very quickly. If I am butchering them for meat I go out to the coop after dark, catch them with a minimum of fuss and put them in a crate with only water. The next day I don't have to chase them around and get them all upset. Taking them off feed for a few hours helps make cleaning them a little easier.

It should most importantly be done when a bird may be a carrier of a illness that endangers the flock.

Any other times it's more of a act mercy in the case where a bird is ill or injured. (since euthanasia isn't the same as slaughtering)

(The bird I mentioned had contracted botulism and was paralyzed severely)

- What is the most humane and the quickest method, especially for people who have never done it before and for a much loved flock member?

I have only had chickens a year, to make this slightly more difficult I am the only one in my family that was willing to do it.

Since my family was not keen on the idea I woke up at approx. 6:00 am to avoid them seeing something that would bother them, I decided to use a hatchet as it makes sense to me, if you have no head you have no motor controlled senses.

I will be honest and say that I had to mentally prepare myself for a few days before deciding the best thing was to just go for it, I didn't make a clean "cut" the first time (though the bird was knocked out due to this initial hit), I quickly calmed my nerves and made a second, much more confident swing.

The bird died very quickly and with very minimal flapping, I would recommend this method more than the cutting of the jugulars as a first time, just make sure any instrument is well prepared, any sort of knife/hatchet or axe should be sharpened prior to the event.

Over all I was quite relieved to find how minimal the whole thing was, there was minimal bleeding, minimal pain and minimal tools/prep required.

- How do you handle the situation when you have children and other family involved with the flock?

Well like I mentioned above, my family did not offer to do it or assist me.

My grandmother lives on the property and had held this very bird less than 24 hours after it hatched, she was quite upset when I told her that the bird needed to be culled but none of my family seemed to disagree that someone needed to do it.

I was 16 when I killed that bird, it was a huge growing experience for me, though I have dispatch animals in the past I have never killed a animal I had owned/raised.

I am the youngest in the house and it isn't something that haunted or bothered me after I had completed it.

It should most importantly be done when a bird may be a carrier of a illness that endangers the flock.

Any other times it's more of a act mercy in the case where a bird is ill or injured. (since euthanasia isn't the same as slaughtering)

(The bird I mentioned had contracted botulism and was paralyzed severely)

I have only had chickens a year, to make this slightly more difficult I am the only one in my family that was willing to do it.

Since my family was not keen on the idea I woke up at approx. 6:00 am to avoid them seeing something that would bother them, I decided to use a hatchet as it makes sense to me, if you have no head you have no motor controlled senses.

I will be honest and say that I had to mentally prepare myself for a few days before deciding the best thing was to just go for it, I didn't make a clean "cut" the first time (though the bird was knocked out due to this initial hit), I quickly calmed my nerves and made a second, much more confident swing.

The bird died very quickly and with very minimal flapping, I would recommend this method more than the cutting of the jugulars as a first time, just make sure any instrument is well prepared, any sort of knife/hatchet or axe should be sharpened prior to the event.

Over all I was quite relieved to find how minimal the whole thing was, there was minimal bleeding, minimal pain and minimal tools/prep required.

Well like I mentioned above, my family did not offer to do it or assist me.

My grandmother lives on the property and had held this very bird less than 24 hours after it hatched, she was quite upset when I told her that the bird needed to be culled but none of my family seemed to disagree that someone needed to do it.

I was 16 when I killed that bird, it was a huge growing experience for me, though I have dispatch animals in the past I have never killed a animal I had owned/raised.

I am the youngest in the house and it isn't something that haunted or bothered me after I had completed it.

Good for you for being able to do what needed to be done.Sometimes the hardest thing for us to do is the kindest thing for our animals.

Last edited:

Thank you.

I think euthanizing is harder than killing a animal for meat, mainly because you weren't preparing to part with that animal, they may of even been the one with the most potential as a breeder or show bird.

In my case it was a amazing, young english black orpington cockerel who would have been a lovely addition to my flock.

I think it should be done when the bird is no longer capable of living a quality life and you have done everything you can to help.

I personally just had a rooster that had to be put down. We believed he had Mareks disease and gave him almost 2 weeks doing things we thought might help and things people on BYC had suggested and saw no signs of improvement but only decreased. I could not bar the thought of having his head cut off or shooting him, wringing his neck.. Although those are quick methods I was so afraid something would go wrong and cause him much pain before finally dying. So, with that being said I thought maybe euthanasia by a vet. I called around and found a vet that would do it for $25. Peaceful and quick. Everyone was so kind and they even gave me this clay mold of his foot. For me... the $25 was far worth it.

Agree. My vet did it for $22.00 and they were so sweet .

I consider euthanasia different than butchering.

Euthanasia is putting down a sick or injured animal IMO.

I've euthanized chicks using a CO2 method, the one found here......

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/index.php/reptile-feeder-method.html

It's worked well on young chicks.

Older birds have been dispatched either by slitting the throat or a pellet gun to the head. As Ridgerunner emphasized, it's the method you personally feel comfortable with. What works for me may not work for someone else, and that's okay.

I would like to try cervical dislocation but have been too chicken (no pun intended). I know with a knife I'm doing it right and fast. It's a hard time for a learning curve.

Butchering is done with a cone and slitting the throat.

I consider euthanasia different than butchering.

Euthanasia is putting down a sick or injured animal IMO.

I've euthanized chicks using a CO2 method, the one found here......

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/index.php/reptile-feeder-method.html

It's worked well on young chicks.

Older birds have been dispatched either by slitting the throat or a pellet gun to the head. As Ridgerunner emphasized, it's the method you personally feel comfortable with. What works for me may not work for someone else, and that's okay.

I would like to try cervical dislocation but have been too chicken (no pun intended). I know with a knife I'm doing it right and fast. It's a hard time for a learning curve.

Butchering is done with a cone and slitting the throat.
I agree that euthanasia and butchering are different, and I did wander into the butchering discussion in my first post. But we still do it the same way, no matter the reason. I also agree with Ridgerunner - whatever you're comfortable with. If you can't do it and can take it to a vet, go to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom