Topic of the Week - Let's talk about euthanasia

Whether for slaughter or to put an animal out of its misery it will be a traumatic experience for both human and animal or maybe that's just me. I hate it either way. There have been animals I should have put down but didn't hoping they would pull through but I always regretted their suffering. I do think bleeding out may be the least traumatic until they start shutting down completely and begin to convulse. If you can afford to take all your critters to the vet then maybe a shot is the way to go. I do feel a responsibility for my animals even in death however. I want them to have the best life available and the easiest of deaths.

Nowhere is "humane" defined as being easier on the one doing the killing. I think that's a terrible way to think about it, any good animal steward should dismiss that definition. It's hardly how vets, rescues, or even laboratories define it. What matters is the animal's wellbeing, not the dispatchers. Frankly, it's not the dispatcher's life that's about to end. If someone tosses a bag of kittens in a river they never have to think about them again, it might be SUPER easy for a person to do that (as is evidenced by the fact that this is actually depressingly common) and many people feel very mentally sound doing this, but it's terribly cruel to the kittens. That's why It's illegal. So many people thought it was the easiest thing to do that we had to pass laws against it and it STILL happens.

The American Veterinary Medical Association defines it as;
"Euthanasia is derived from the Greek terms eu meaning good and thanatos meaning death. The term is usually used to describe ending the life of an individual animal in a way that minimizes or eliminates pain and distress. A good death is tantamount to the humane termination of an animal’s life. In the context of these Guidelines, the veterinarian’s prima facie duty in carrying out euthanasia includes, but is not limited to, (1) his or her humane disposition to induce death in a manner that is in accord with an animal’s interest and/or because it is a matter of welfare, and (2) the use of humane techniques to induce the most rapid and painless and distress-free death possible. These conditions, while separate, are not mutually exclusive and are codependent."

I also think it's incorrect to suggest that slaughter and euthanasia are totally unrelated. especially for back yard operations. I think the whole reason many of us raise our own food is because we can't stand the way that commercial industries handle animals BECAUSE it is inhumane. We seek out the most humane options for our animals because we raise them by hand, we live with them, we take care of them every day of their lives, we care about them immensely, and we want what's best for them, even in death. If you can't believe that, then I think it's safe to believe that at least we try for something that doesn't distress the animal because adrenaline causes the meat to stiffen and become acidic. We genuinely want the fastest, least distressing method when we dispatch our birds. And frankly, if gassing were that option.... Well, baking soda and vinegar are cheap, it would add pennies onto my cost per bird. I would gas them every time. I just genuinely think cervical dislocation is more humane.

Unfortunately, not every situation gives the opportunity to see a vet. Vets can be expensive, closed or even just unwilling to work with chickens. I, personally, think that for a pet the vet is ALWAYS the best first option (It's peaceful for everyone, respectful, and extremely humane for the animal) but there are occasions when that's just not an option you can take. And having a back up plan you can do yourself is important for those occasions to prevent the suffering of the animal.

Last edited:
We base the decision to euthanize like many of the rest of you on the welfare of the bird, the flock, or its quality of life. We did euthanize some birds we got that were ill. Despite quarantine our flock got it but thankfully recovered and have had no lingering symptoms or any reoccurances. We used an old truck exhaust for the ones we got that were severely ill as they were suffering. We created a box out of a plastic stock tank and attached it to the exhaust via a hose. It was very quick and painless and they just went to sleep peacefully. Of course no matter how an animal dies they will convulse as the blood drains from their muscles. We put them down in the way we did as we didn't want to risk further exposing our flock to their illness by spilling their blood.

We are growing out cockerals for the freezer and they will be put down as quickly as possible by slitting their throats. Depending on how that goes we may in the future use this way for suffering birds.

We have had to euthanize a number of chicks as well usually those that weren't right from hatch that were suffering. We have used the vinegar and baking soda method after trial runs without the chicks to judge how much of each makes a good fizz so that it's quick and the chick just lays down to sleep and doesn't wake up. I feel this is a more humane method for small chicks that cutting off their heads with scissors. It has worked well for us and is less traumatic I feel than hiding the chick in paper towels so you don't have to see it. Using this method has worked in as little as 20-30 seconds although we always leave them in the container for a minute or two to be sure they're completely gone before taking them out.

Okay I think I need to make another post here as I feel my original one was misunderstood and has been taken very much the wrong way.

Yes we have used the gas methods of euthanizing ill birds or those that were unwell. We have never killed a bird before with a blade and did not want to risk slicing into the trachea and having then suffer choking on their own blood. That is no way to go. We have now read books on the subject and are preparing to try it, hopefully with a mentor present to teach us the process.

We have also used the vinegar method on very tiny chicks several of which were unconscious or nonresponsive. Two of which had pulled out their intestines during hatching. We have very mediocre kitchen sheers they don't cut worth anything. When I said it was more humane to gas them(10 seconds with no struggling cheeping or trauma) than to have to try and chop their heads off in a way that would almost assuredly require multiple cuts and hacking yes I meant it. Did I mean it for us sure a little but my main focus is always on the birds. We do not know how to do a cervical dislocation. We used the vinegar method after much research and trials but we did it differently. Instead of just a small amount with the chick in the larger container, we did a small container holding the chick inside of a larger vacuum sealable container so the solution was all around the container that held the dry warm chick. We did it with only one chick at a time ever. We also would not have used it ever again if it had looked at all like the chick suffered as I've said it was very very peaceful and the chick just layed down and went to sleep.

Do I think everyone will agree on the most humane ways? No. Do I wish I could take every single bird that was suffering to a vet for euthanasia? Sure but we don't have that option.

Would I be open to learning other ways that may be faster? Of course.

I will say that the ones we've put down have always been attended in that if at any point they had ever seemed to be suffering it would have been immediately stopped and put on hold until a new way was found. It has however always been quick and very calm and peaceful with no outward signs of suffering. We are not cruel and would never do anything that would knowingly make the animal suffer.

We do our best for our birds and the flock so anytime pain, danger to the flock as a whole or undue suffering that is untreatable the call is made to cull the bird, If it's treatable I will try and save it as long as it can have a quality life

A lady showed me how to process the first time, she laid the bird down on the ground and held it, after having everything set up to process, and one quick slice across the neck. Bird didn't bleed very much, or even move took less than a blink of the eye, it wasn't upset before and no movement afterwards, so we've used same method for culling.

My boys weren't raised on the farm like me so explained honestly to them why the bird had to be culled, but they don't have much to do with them other than when I hatch out in the incubator. This tell ya anything brought white, brown and blue eggs home to put in the incubator, and they thought I'd colored them and were telling me to stop that because it wasn't Easter . They do well with culling a sick or injured bird, but not eating a bird we raised for food and processed guess I got paid back for when I was a kid and they processed my pet cow

- When should it be done?
For food, sick/injured, flock security/safety.

-What is the most humane and the quickest method, especially for people who have never done it before and for a much loved flock member?
Speaking from personal experience, I've never done it, the best method for me would be to use a hatchet or the cone and knife. I'm confident I could make the cut cleanly and effectively and they would go without complaint. I couldn't ask for more myself than just a brief few seconds of fear before nothing. I trust they would feel the same. (For chicks/quail I would probably just break the neck.)

- How do you handle the situation when you have children and other family involved with the flock?
I think the first time or even times would be the most difficult. After that you've come to understand it's just a part of the system. Most of my family would understand but I don't believe they could personally handle it. My son however I would tell him that we raised them the best we could and wish to ensure the end is just as gentle and loving. I'd rather that children and others understand food doesn't just show up on your plate and that it's a serious part of life.

I've let some birds go on far too long. Chickens are resilient and it's hard to tell which ones will make it. Some never regain their former vigor however. Saturday I went ahead and butchered a cockerel because first of all it was always intended for that purpose but why now was because one of my children had put a ziptie on him. I had noticed him limping for a couple of days. I finally caught him on his roost and saw that it had cut into his skin and I couldn't get it off because it was too deep. I cut his throat as I do all my birds for either euthanasia or butchering (both reasons for this bird). He died very peaceful. He was calm because I was carrying him around gather string for his feet, and the knife and then stroked his neck with the back of the knife until the true slice which is done as quickly and clean as I can manage. I hated having to do him when I did but it was really very peaceful. Had he been to small or damaged to eat I still prefer to kill this way because I believe bleeding out is the most peaceful.

Peaceful, calm, quiet.......not sure how to apply that to the rather violent CNS spasms that happen despite the method of killing.
I slit jugular in cone(to contain that thrashing) when slaughtering for meat...but even cervical dislocation which is instant death is followed by thrashing.

Peaceful, calm, quiet.......not sure how to apply that to the rather violent CNS spasms that happen despite the method of killing.
I slit jugular in cone(to contain that thrashing) when slaughtering for meat...but even cervical dislocation which is instant death is followed by thrashing.
the way the lady showed me that had done it all her life they don't thrash around at all which was what I was expecting and had braced myself for, she has the experience to do it one person, I didn't so we went with 2 people until we get more at ease and confidence. Lay em down on the ground and hold them there , they are calmer down there so when the cut comes they just go peacfully a little blood but not lots because she didn't have the stress going on, and didn't move once.

Back
Top Bottom