Topic of the Week - Managing Brooding Geese

My goose is about to lay eggs and her new mate was a gosling last year and I don't know yet if its a boy or girl. Leaning towards gander. I am on the fence as to let her have some babies or take the all the eggs. I would have to find homes for the babies eventually and fear that would break Puddles heart. She is 8 and I know she has wanted a baby in forever though.... ugh... What to do????
I have the solution: I am about to buy geese! You could give me the goslings!

Lacie unfortunately has not successfully hatched goslings. Last year she had a mate and was determined to do it, but her eggs disappeared right around when they were due. I don't know what happened there, though I suspect they were stolen by my neighbor's children.

Her daughter is broody right now though so I might have some cute pictures of goslings with their parents soon :)

And if you don't mind pictures of just goslings, I definitely have a lot of those. Lacie didn't successfully hatch last year but I sure did, lol.

wAnMDQJT8YSEgb_nS14MHvKqwTTHMCOP8AJxQFpNg5s5hhI9exOPrZ-_-5P-f59J3UvkUNcLsTVv9uJ6f4NLGW73yDPFmkxa9_eIh49BIPgiLSZJMUZXVIWGTkSgDkcpHXCnO6Wpk6CGvHfWR8AjaLhIYT97OhDq6wW5yO1M_8G-uo80nvChHsrEACr3B3YMkSQlhWAiHVSE9CTLQi_5sv7RY0sODRFGYbDyJyMhyyuvGYcnM-H27eo1Q8qT-kxRnzkbnI71uDg9Kv3ar1ZJ0fGgFfkOtnx8rVOIQ-xrm0yt0McmkFdo40Xh5-hxxuqujczxKtTWfA25zU2He24wXM1-L3kcSZLxGmOiDsPypRYQ94aSMul-WeTozqjRVBHEcsMFDwIxq5UiTkcVvp6DL26BF53Y9yGYIJnNscYkFdhVlgX18K16mFeOBJoxR_Drcr4GJ76opLmq6x32zKiZvzr52GpVrMxiWEnCamazT-sUN1YG4qala7Cd4ZkLX7NcgCmsTsTQCbYkly5yMdWWAjSXQxAioO8CyXfl9LFCi90JsqG3HiOI-Cii_s3osflwm6wL-6umS_KdrTWfobH4Fwfv6xM1jRoqxdxVNNY=w993-h662-no

Cute!

I'm hoping to hatch some goslings next year. I would have tried this year, but I read that it's better to wait until a goose's second year to hatch her eggs, because her first eggs are smaller and less likely to be fertile.

Looking forward to reading more in this thread!

I'm hoping to hatch some goslings next year. I would have tried this year, but I read that it's better to wait until a goose's second year to hatch her eggs, because her first eggs are smaller and less likely to be fertile.

Looking forward to reading more in this thread!
I didn't know that! Thanks.

Pilgrims are on my wish list for "some day". I like what I've read about them...sort of medium sized and their gender can be id'd when they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom