Topic of the Week - Moving Chicks Outside

Pics
How much longer till I should put him out? It’s colder here. Around 38 degrees Fahrenheit, I was thinking once he can eat the adult feed? But he might get too big, maybe he’d be fine in the brooder until then or at least until all the snow is gone…

As for integrating him all I normally do is set him next to my nicest hens in the coop on the roost at night and I usually works, even with adult hens. All my hens free range and can push open the door in the morning so there is no risk of them being stuck in a coop together, but it is quite cold and he’s very small compared to my hens
It has been my experience that wants the bird has full feathers it can withstand the cold better that can take the heat if you have a flock if need be they will huddle together make sure you use straw instead of hey straw is tubular holding air pockets which helps to hold heat.
Best of luck!

Attachments

• IMG20230423180114.jpg
    IMG20230423180114.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230423180151.jpg
    IMG20230423180151.jpg
    1,020 KB · Views: 6
We keep chicks in garage in brooder with heat lamp until 3-4 weeks, then move to store coop with heat at night, in the barn where big girls can see and talk to them. At 6-7 weeks we put them in their forever home coop for 1-2 weeks with only heat if temps drop below 40. Then open them up to free range with the flock under supervision for a few days before full integration at 7-8 weeks. We will also put a big girl or 2 in with them for the last week or 2 so they aren’t panicked by the swarm at feeding times. I swear some of the big girls are like piranha when any feed is thrown out and it’ll scare the little ones.

- Do you brood your chicks indoors or outside and if the latter, how do you go about it?
The chicks always get brooded indoors with a heat lamp or a heat plate. I personally believe heat plates are much more safe to use than heat lamps for a number of reasons, the biggest one including safety for both you, the chicks, and anyone else that could be affected by an accidental fire. I let the chicks out about once a day so they peck on the floor and explore the room. It gives them something to do.

- If you brood indoors, at what age do you do the transition from brooder to outside?
After a few days of chicks getting brooded indoors, I will take them outside if the temperature is high enough and let them learn about the real outside world. They only stay outside for a few minutes, or until they tell me they are ready to go back to safety by peeping loudly. I do this every day or every few days, each for a longer time period, until it is finally their time to stay outside in a pen (six weeks old). By that time, they are a little scared to not be taken inside again, but they get used to it. Furthermore, it is important to introduce them to the outside at a young age because they build up their immunity to diseases.

- Any tips for making the transition easier for the little ones?
I stay by the chicks at all times while they are getting introduced to the outside, and if they start making noises I bring them inside. Never stress them out and let them stay there for too long if they are scared. I put them in a location of the yard where the other chickens can still come over and see them, but they are less likely to notice them because they are far away. Allow the other chickens to meet the chicks, but make them keep their space because no pecking is allowed, and do not let male chickens close because they may resort to trying to breed the little chicks, which would harm them. Do not let any predators by the chicks as that would scare them; this includes cats, dogs, and any other domestic animal that would make the chicks stressed to be nearby. Always keep in mind the comfort level of each chick and what they prefer, and remember to act in a way that chickens will understand. No fast movements, loud noises, or anything else that would make them feel threatened. Make their trips outside enjoyable for them-even spread around some treats on the ground so they can forage!

After a few weeks, our little fluffy butts are feathered out enough to allow them to regulate their body temperatures and they can be weaned off the heat and moved outside to the coop, or an outdoor brooder. Some of our members choose to brood chicks outdoors from the start even.

There are many ways to do this transition successfully, so this week I would like to hear your thoughts and practices when it comes to moving chicks outside and having them adapt to living out there. Specifically:

- Do you brood your chicks indoors or outside and if the latter, how do you go about it?
- If you brood indoors, at what age do you do the transition from brooder to outside?

View attachment 1364385
Pic by @azygous
For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
I usually brood them inside until they start getting their feathers, 2-3 weeks. then, they spend the next 2-3 weeks in a box in the garage, then I move them outside. I recently had one chick escape in the night and go missing, and another was found dead. other than that first night however, the other 14 chicks are ok, and have learned to sleep in the coop instead of the run.

Hello, issue 1, what do you consider to cold for transfer. Issue 2 , change food to what?. Your last concern re: free range timing is great, I am new to this site and new to chickens but retired and have 24 hours per day to learn. Thanks again
Three issues I address. First is change in temperature where heat lamp is turned off for a couple days with inside brooder. Transfer is also done on warmer part of day on a warm day when practical to reduce shock. Second issue is a change in feed type used at same time. Usually, same feed used until a couple days after move. Another issue is the containment environment. I have lots of broods that are kept separate. Each brood is placed in a portable brooder (rabbit cage) for a couple of days before moved in the rabbit cage. The rabbit cage serves as the brooder in new location. Purpose behind this is to make so not all stressors hit at once.

Warmer weather things not so demanding with respect to temperature.

Other concerns not addressed here involve where outdoor brooders are placed and beginning of free-range time where young birds are expected to return to same cage / brooder each night.

Hello, issue 1, what do you consider to cold for transfer. Issue 2 , change food to what?. Your last concern re: free range timing is great, I am new to this site and new to chickens but retired and have 24 hours per day to learn. Thanks again
If they are fully feathered, different breeds feather faster/slower, but usually by 3-4 weeks we will move them out to our barn in a small coop to be seen and talked to by the older chickens but can’t be pecked on.
We feed chicks a chick starter high protein feed until about 3-4 months old then switch to an all flock feed with oyster shell on the side for calcium if they feel they need it.
We free range our flock starting at about 7-8 weeks , when the chicks are integrated with the rest of the flock. Our big girls are outside from dawn til dusk when they put themselves away.
Welcome to the journey!!

I brood my chicks inside my unfinished basement. Its got a concrete floor but the woodstove is down there, plus heat lamp.

I move my chicks from the basement to the coop at around 6 - 9 weeks, depending on when I get the coop/coop portion ready and how feathered they are.

Making the coop as comfortable as possible, such as extra shavings, using the deep litter method for first 2 weeks in the coop.
Going for "play time" for about 30 minutes, every day with nice weather.
Leaving them in the coop for three days, as long as your coop has good venation, going out for no "play time", so they learn that the coop is home, and to return there each night.

I brood my chicks in my bathroom. As they outgrow their plastic tub I move them to some sort of makeshift pen in my bedroom until it's warm enough to go outside (~60F daytime temps). Then they get to have supervised field trips inside an old rabbit playpen.

I like having them in the house with me because it gives me more of a chance to socialize with them, so I generally don't put them out for good until they've outgrown the pen (usually around five weeks).

Once they've moved out into the coop, they stay there for at least a couple weeks, and then I let them out into a pen that gets larger every few days. When they reliably put themselves back into the coop at night, I let them free range with the others.

My coop is separated into three runs so they're not really living with the other hens. All pecking order disputes get resolved while everyone is free ranging, and the new hens integrate fairly easily into the existing flock while loosely keeping their own sub-flock.

We picked up 3 DNA-sexed female Silkie chicks from a private NPIP breeder (https://buckaboofarm.com/) who boxed them with feed & water for the ride home on January 16. We aren't zoned for roo's so we had to find a reputable breeder who DNA-sexed females for us. It was a 9-month wait to get Silkies in the colors we ordered but it was worth the wait. DNA-sexing is a great way to get guaranteed females cuz bantams are too tiny to vent-sex the traditional way.
January 16, 2024
NEW CHICKS 4  01-17-2024.jpg

Our 3 chicks were transferred to our den brooder when we got home. Perfect brooder set-up for Silkies. Doubt this brooder would work for standard size chicks that can fly out by a couple weeks. Silkies jump but don't really fly and these chicks lived in the den for 3 weeks.
January 17 - first full day in brooder
NEW CHICKS 3  01-17-2024.jpg

NEW CHICKS 2  01-17-2024.jpg

We took them out daily to play with them and get them accustomed to getting picked up in the "Judges' Hold." We don't show birds but we like new birds to get accustomed to human handling.
January 30
SILKIE CHICKS 4  01-30-2024.jpg

Judges' Hold -- very relaxed chick -- February 23
KEIKO 4  02-23-2024.jpg

By end of February the chicks were so big we let them loose on the kitchen floor and they had a blast running around exploring.
March 1
DSCN1983.JPG

Night times they would roost in the den brooder.
DSCN1957.JPG

Through the glass door during the day 3 outdoor girls and 3 indoor girls get accustomed to seeing each other. No longer do the chicks stay in the brooder except to sleep at night. Is it a mess? Yes, but for such a short time. They grow so fast.
March 6
DSCN2023.JPG

DSCN2021.JPG

As soon as our mucky weather warms up - which should be soon here in So. Calif. - the chicks will be put in the big girls barn coop to roost separated by a screen so everyone will see each other.
DSCN7849.JPG

And by day the chicks will be in the garden patio separated from the big girls in the fenced half of the backyard to get used to each other through the fence barrier before mixing all 6 birds together. We've done it this way for years when adding new birds.
DSCN9143.JPG

Some of our previous chicks watching the outside world through the glass door. Installing this full glass door was one of our best investments -- we never knew it would have such a great function for bird entertainment.
Year 2021
DSCN9636.JPG

AMBERWAVES 9  12-30-2020.jpg

Back in year 2017 we used a kiddie pool with bird netting over the top but by 2-3 weeks old these 3 curious Dominiques would not stay inside the pool so they got run of the kitchen.
Year 2017
DSCN8248.JPG

DSCN8352.JPG

We wouldn't trade a minute for the experiences we've had raising chicks. They grow so FAST!

Do you brood your chicks indoors or outside and if the latter, how do you go about it?
I always start indoors. I have a large (maybe 55 gallon?) plastic tote that I use for the first week or so. I cut a hole in the lid and put wire mesh so the lid can be on and they can't escape, but it's not enclosed.
Once the chicks are a little bigger, I move them to a vintage wooden child's playpen that I converted into a brooder. I simply put mesh fencing around the outside and crafted a wire top. Throw some puppy pads or trash bags down and then some bedding and it's ready to go. I use a heat lamp and make sure it is super fastened (in more than one means) so even if one fastening mechanism were to fail, another will catch it so it will not fall.
Once the chicks are feathered, they move outside to the coop. I have sectioned off a portion of the coop to act as a brooder while the chicks finish growing (no heat lamp). They have their own fenced in area for outside time, as well. This helps the rest of the flock get used to seeing them.

Once they are fully feathered, around 6 weeks.

I've never had difficulties transitioning other than getting them to go up the ramp into the coop the first few times they have outside time. This seems to remedy as soon as one chick catches on, the others follow. Also, being "chased" (I call it encouraged) by a scary lady is a great reason to go up the ramp.

I will say, full disclosure, I do not like to do the brooding. I much prefer to let a mama hen do the work and will opt for this every single time. 🤭

Back
Top Bottom