Topic of the Week - Nest boxes

Pics
View attachment 1100918
This is our nest area. We have 6 buckets like this on both sides of the door. 17 pullets of which 7 use the nests. I'm finding eggs under this area, outside, in different places. 5 of the ones using the nests have been laying about a month, in the last week i went from 5 layers to 11. The ones laying in the buckets laid their first egg in them. And have used them the whole time, some of the ones laying now don't even try to get in them. I'm wondering if they need time or if I should redo the whole thing.... ugh
I tried the buckets but my hens grew too big to fit. They could get into the buckets but couldn't turn around so they wouldn't lay in them.

boxes.jpg
I'm in the process of making a set of two nesting boxes from wood from a small pallet that these paver stones came on. At the moment, it's 28"w x 14"l x 16"h (this pallet was exactly 28" wide, so that's the reason for the 28 & 14" measurements). Do you think 16" is too tall or will it be more cozy when I add bedding? I haven't decided whether to separate into two boxes or leave as one big box. I will put a divider in the front, so there are two "doors" going in, but what are your thoughts on an internal divider? I don't plan on hatching any chicks, so put a board at the bottom to keep bedding in. The back is open (with bottom board) because it will be against the coop wall/egg gathering door. Any suggestions while construction is still in progress? Chicks are almost 15 weeks old, so we're getting close...

For the moment my hens are using the nest boxes on the floor, they do have curtains in front of them. I haven't noticed more broodiness since the curtains but they do like them. Then, all of the sudden they will all change to the outside nest boxes that are built higher up. No rime or reason to it. I use straw on my coop floor but pine shavings in my boxes because I think it is easier to clean them out if I have a broken egg, you can just scoop out the wet part.
My boxes are low medium and high. My high boxes seem to attract the broody girls. Privacy and intruders can't come from above. Sort of like king of the hill. As soon as other go up, they chase them back down.

Back
Top Bottom