Topic of the Week - Raising and Caring for Ducklings

Went to rural king to get a look at their chickens and ducks. No, I didn't come home with any....yet! :lol:
They have pekin and khaki campbell (I believe). They also had some with an eye band/stripe (?). Not sure if that is what you call it. There were a lot of gawkers and two young ladies who brought in some pot belly piglets. So, that aisle was busy and I didnt feel like peopling much today - so I didn't ask.
I might go down the road tomorrow and see if I can talk to the neighbor with the muscovies. I am still undecided.
All of the ducklings were adorable of course, but how do you choose? Or what should I look for so thst I don't get a sick duckling? Also, they only had the ducklings drinking from a nipple waterer. Is this bad for them due to needing water for their nares?
We also stopped at tsc and they are getting their chicks and ducks tomorrow. So, I might call to see what they get in.
Or just wait until I decide for sure which breed I want as I might have to order. :confused:
Anyway, the good news is that my husband says he doesn't care if I get ducks! :wee:celebrate
So, what do I need for them? I have a tote or cardboard box, pine shavings, a cottage cheese tub with lid for water. Do I only need a heat lamp And chick starter?
Anyway to tell what gender you are getting at this stage?
How soon will they need a real set up outside? Just wondering how long I have to get everything around.

Oh also, how much time do they need devoted to them? I work part time so some days I am gone for most of the day. They will be in a heated building until they need to go out to a permanent set up.

Did you order your appleyards? If so where are you getting them from?
I ordered them from metzers and they should arrive on Wednesday the 28th. I am super excited and super scared at the same time!! I took the day off of work so that I can be them all day.

Right now I just have my lamp, pine shavings, purina all flock crumbles, doggie pee pads, a duck stuff toy, thermostat, and two 65gl totes! I will be working on set up this week to see if modifications need to be made!!

Oh also, how much time do they need devoted to them? I work part time so some days I am gone for most of the day. They will be in a heated building until they need to go out to a permanent set up.
Since you work part time, this will be so helpful to you and duckling time!!! They are lots of work.....but so gratifying at the end of a long work day and they greet you with their quacks!!! It's almost like :weeShe's home! :weeShe's home!:wee
....but don't touch me!! :lau

IMG_0239.JPG
Bringing this thread back up...
These make Great less spill water containers for Ducklings so they can clean nares and eyes...

Back
Top Bottom