Topic of the Week - Sexing Chicks

A Welbar (Welsummer/Barred Rock cross) can be auto sexed, right? That's what I read anyway. If so, what do the male and female chicks look like?
Welbars are a true breed, not a cross or hybrid, though Welsummers and Barred Rocks were originally used in the 1940s to create the breed. Here is some info about them including how they are autosexed at hatch.

https://www.poultryclub.org/breeds/chickens/soft-feather-light/autosexing-welbar/
https://www.welphatchery.com/layer-type-chicks/welbar-female/

From day-old to "should be obvious". Though that being said, I once had a young cockerel crow to let me know it's a HE, not a SHE as I was so convinced it was. To add insult to injury, he was standing ON MY LAP at the time…
This might be the most chicken-y chicken story I have ever heard...

Ok, for what it is worth- personal observation only- I am in the 'girls feather faster' group. It has been my experience that 'no tail, it's a male'. Although, I have a brahma chick from the PULLET bin.... with no tail, at this time.. the other B. chick has one. Soooo, I am hoping to Peaches that I am wrong. "cause that's a big boy to be going up against my poor EE Rooster I have now. :fl
I just wonder if these things apply, including vent sexing, to bantums?

Ok, for what it is worth- personal observation only- I am in the 'girls feather faster' group. It has been my experience that 'no tail, it's a male'. Although, I have a brahma chick from the PULLET bin.... with no tail, at this time.. the other B. chick has one. Soooo, I am hoping to Peaches that I am wrong. "cause that's a big boy to be going up against my poor EE Rooster I have now. :fl
I just wonder if these things apply, including vent sexing, to bantums?
Typically vent sexing isn't done to bantams because of their small size.

I’m late to the first part of the party but I read in the first few pages that Barred Rock Roos have a spot on their head (and I’m assuming that to mean the pullets do not?) I have my 4 newest chicks, one is a BR. I said to my husband in the parking lot as we were leaving the feed store when we picked them up “that one (BR) is a Roo. Watch”. This was based on immediate observation of the behavior. Curiosity, a little more “aggressive” for lack of a better descriptor. And hubby says “you wanna go back inside and try to trade him back?” And I second guessed myself and said “no. It’s fine im sure” (not sure at all). This chick has a white spot on head, is a bit protective of the others, meaning first one to come to me when I put my hand in the brooder. Also “he” has legs that are cream colored with darker grey markings on them. I tried to call the feed store a few days ago to let them know the pulley they sold me might be a Roo (I know they don’t have guarantees - it was just a “checking back with the store manager” kind of question/ answer type of thing. Well Debbie at the feed store was quite rude and treated me like I was a total idiot and said “there’s no way to tell this early” and while I see where she’s coming from, and I could be totally wrong, I just wanted to talk to someone who had a better understanding with BR breed, this is my first time with one. Debbie said that BR are always the most aggressive and that I’d have to wait for full feathering or crowing which won’t happen for several more weeks (they are 3+ wks old now). Also this one is feathering out more slowly IMO and seems a bit smaller still. If someone can take a look at these photos, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 56AAD402-89FE-45FF-85A3-580DC914EE59.jpeg
    56AAD402-89FE-45FF-85A3-580DC914EE59.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 5F8E15B4-7AA3-409A-8714-39BA97F3B477.jpeg
    5F8E15B4-7AA3-409A-8714-39BA97F3B477.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 2
  • B3E7BFF6-6A2D-4656-AA8C-F757A428FFD2.jpeg
    B3E7BFF6-6A2D-4656-AA8C-F757A428FFD2.jpeg
    657.6 KB · Views: 2
I’m late to the first part of the party but I read in the first few pages that Barred Rock Roos have a spot on their head (and I’m assuming that to mean the pullets do not?) I have my 4 newest chicks, one is a BR. I said to my husband in the parking lot as we were leaving the feed store when we picked them up “that one (BR) is a Roo. Watch”. This was based on immediate observation of the behavior. Curiosity, a little more “aggressive” for lack of a better descriptor. And hubby says “you wanna go back inside and try to trade him back?” And I second guessed myself and said “no. It’s fine im sure” (not sure at all). This chick has a white spot on head, is a bit protective of the others, meaning first one to come to me when I put my hand in the brooder. Also “he” has legs that are cream colored with darker grey markings on them. I tried to call the feed store a few days ago to let them know the pulley they sold me might be a Roo (I know they don’t have guarantees - it was just a “checking back with the store manager” kind of question/ answer type of thing. Well Debbie at the feed store was quite rude and treated me like I was a total idiot and said “there’s no way to tell this early” and while I see where she’s coming from, and I could be totally wrong, I just wanted to talk to someone who had a better understanding with BR breed, this is my first time with one. Debbie said that BR are always the most aggressive and that I’d have to wait for full feathering or crowing which won’t happen for several more weeks (they are 3+ wks old now). Also this one is feathering out more slowly IMO and seems a bit smaller still. If someone can take a look at these photos, let me know what you think.
I have had 6 BR and this one is a male. The distinctive yellow/white spot is how you can tell if they are male or not. Pullets have darker heads some have a little yellow but it’s mottled.

Back
Top Bottom