Topic of the Week - What do/can you do with unwanted roosters?

Pics
Thank God I was able to re-home mine. The Chicken Man, as I call him, came yesterday for 3 Roosters. I miss them a great deal. My ladies are now very quiet and have more room. If you live in the NYC or Hudson Valley area, let me know. He picks them up and brings to his farm in Long Island....that's what he told me at least. But I feel better knowing that they won't be killed.
Hi I’m in Poughkeepsie and may have to rehome 2 roosters. Can you give me his info?

We’ve eaten a few and plan to eat more. Before we did that, I gave some away. I still try to sell some that I think someone might actually want, but as default, I know a guy with snakes who’s happy to give me money for cockerels no one else will take for free. He says there’s a market out there and I wish I could take more advantage of it, but my family insists on eating the majority of birds ourselves.
That's really interesting! I never thought of that. If any cockerels end up in my flock, I'll definitely have to remember this.

Resting the cleaned carcass in fridge for 48-72 hours for rigor to pass is essential for chewable meat from any bird(except maybe CX?). Tho no homegrown bird I've eaten, layer or meat breed, is as soft as a grocery bird, they are more 'toothsome'.
Really? Who knew? :idunno Thanks for that 'cause I KNOW we will be needing this in the not too far future. I purchased some straight run chicks several weeks ago. If the roos do not get along then they WILL go well will my Sonny's Sweet Bar-B-Que sauce.

Wonder which I will keep for breeding purposes? I think maybe a future purchase where I would have a frizzle roo; I would definitely want to keep him.

I am a big softy when it comes to extra roosters :oops: I know most people cull and eat their extra cockerels, but I prefer to rehome them. It is not always an option, and if so, I either buy a few more girls for the rooster I want to rehome or I start a rooster flock. It works well and (as long as they can't see the girls) they are quite content.
How long do they live ? (I think I understand you are giving them a retirement package without their having contributed to the retirement plan) just wondering how long a commitment that is. Thanks!

I know this is an old thread, I'm new, and I didn't go thru all 18 pages of replies, but...
Roosters are specifically raised by some people for the fly tying industry. The neck feathers can be desirable for fly tying. The most desirable are the long neck feathers with uniform width from top to bottom. Colors can vary, as may colors are desirable.
I'm just throwing that out to the cullers. If you cull roosters, you might consider learning to skin, salt, preserve the necks & saddles for a few more shekels added to the feed money jar.

https://growlermag.com/raising-hackles-the-prized-chickens-at-the-center-of-fly-fishing/

On average 50% of all eggs hatched produce male chicks and many of us either cannot or prefer not to keep cockerels in our flocks. Which brings us to the question of this thread's topic: what can/do you do with those unwanted roosters?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
We foolishly hatched four eggs three of which were roosters, they’re pretty magnificent boys but they’ve caused a lot of stress and strain in the flock. I think one was actually responsible for knocking my little silky into some water where she drowned I don’t have the heart to butcher them so I just try to manage them the best I can and overall works out OK
My goose kind of keeps order in the flock and I will never hatch eggs again. I did rehome one once and it worked out great. I’m always afraid somebody’s gonna say they will rehome them and turn them into fighting birds or something awful.

Back
Top Bottom